Warning - 'BT' telephone scam

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Scottman

Warning - 'BT' telephone scam

Post by Scottman »

Not new ...but a new variation on a well worn theme

I have had a second call from 'BT' to warn me that my broadband is downloading malicious viruses and the like, which will damage my computer and is affecting the speed of their server. To protect other users my service will be cut off from midnight tonight, unless I work with them to sort it out on my computer and pay for the restoration of service.

And so it goes on.

She very rudely cut me off when I asked her (nicely) to go to her boss, resign her position, and seek an honest job in an honest company, and stop demanding money with menaces.

Its a variant of the old 'I'm calling from Windows Technical Support

Please warn the older and more vulnerable people for whom this may seem plausible.
Steve

Re: WARNING - 'BT' TELEPHONE SCAM

Post by Steve »

You should report this to the Police.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Have you ever tried doing anything like that ?
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Neighbourhood Watch/OWL regularly send round warnings of such scams and suggest that you call them to report incidents. At the very least they will circulate a warning to all those on the scheme.
01707 354192
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

I'm clearly on a scammable list this week - got a phone call tonight from a most affable stranger to tell me that I have the following shares and do I have any more? We didn't get to the point of discussing what he wanted me to do with them as I refused to discuss anything, but was interested that he had access to the share register and was giving me information about my holding.

Don't discuss anything about money with anyone by phone
Steve

Re: Warning - 'BT' telephone scam

Post by Steve »

Simple rule - don't have anything to do with unsolicited contacts - be they cold callers, chuggers or whatever. Legitimate or otherwise, they're all after your money.
Mel

Post by Mel »

What I'm about to say may sound very strange! I'm deaf and sometimes it can be a good thing.... I don't answer the phone so never have to listen to these sort of calls. My husband just puts the phone down on them although sometimes I say he should let them talk so that it costs them money. We're also on the TPS register so I do wonder where they get the number from. We've got caller display so all phone calls beginning with 0800 etc. are ignored.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Perhaps a better expression would be that it's a bit of a relief that I don't have to answer the phone!
Mel

Post by Mel »

We had a call last night from 08000 128015 and again this morning. Did an internet search on the number and it is apparently a scam call from someone pretending to be from your bank. Be warned!