Rememberance Service

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Steve

Re: Rememberance Service

Post by Steve »

Andrew wrote:I appreciate that with cuts to police budgets then there will not be enough police to cover two simultaneous road closures in Ware and hertford, but why does Hertford always seem to get the preferential treatment with a commemoration at 11:00 and Ware is 'relegated' to the weekend? Could it not alternate?
Maybe because Hertford is the County Town? Just an idea.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ity does imply, though, that the war dead of Hertford are considered mkore important than the war dead of Ware. I know that is not what they intend to mean, but it does give that impression.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andrew wrote:Ity does imply, though, that the war dead of Hertford are considered mkore important than the war dead of Ware. I know that is not what they intend to mean, but it does give that impression.
Really? I've never got that impression.

Remembrance services are for all war dead, not just those of a particular town, or for those who's names might be inscribed on a memorial. At least that's what I've always believed.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Its been in the afternoon since at least 1976, in the days of less cars and more police resources, so that argument is a bit of a red herring.

If the Ware branch of the Royal British Legion wanted to change the times, i'm sure they would.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I can't imagine the Ware Branch of the RBL choose to have it in the afternoon rather than the accepted 11am.
But maybe they do. I always understood it was the police that required it to be in the afternoon.
Having more police 40 years ago doesn't mean they would have been willing to have two event at the same time.
Blueboy

Re: Remembrance Service

Post by Blueboy »

Pat-H wrote:Having more police 40 years ago doesn't mean they would have been willing to have two event at the same time.
Even more than 40 years ago. As a chorister in St Mary's choir in the 1950s I remember the service as being in the afternoon. The church was full of ex-servicemen, the Lady Chapel held the town band whilst the last post, sounded by buglers from the Herts Regt corps of drums (based in Ware) and echoing round the church, was always a poignant moment. The full corps then led the march past along the High Street.

To a young boy this seemed a very impressive salute to the war dead. I would guess there was less concern about meeting an 11am deadline than there is now when there is a need for a focal point on which to base remembrance for those to whom the war is history rather than an actual experience.