Paypal Support: Scam

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
IGS

Paypal Support: Scam

Post by IGS »

I've been getting emails which look like they are from Paypal advising me about unusual activity on my account. They ask for bank details etc and to update said account: this is a scam! How do I know? I don't have a Paypal account. If you do have one please be aware of this and don't open the email and do all the usual checks to keep your account safe.
Andrew

Re: Paypal Support: Scam

Post by Andrew »

I had a PayPal account, but never used it. When I began getting e-mails from them (this was more than five years ago) I cancelled my account. This was before I realised that they were scams. I got the e-mail over the weekend, the first for a long time, but just ignored it. The address has now been marked as junk.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Nobody ever askes for details via email.
At most they would ask you to login to your paypal account (as you would normally and never via any link in an email)
And via your account they would inform you of any issues.
david c

Post by david c »

If you get any of these emails, forward them to spam@paypal.com and they will be investigated.
I have had several and contacted PayPal about them and they advised to forward them on.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I get those but can't forward them on for some reason from ntl. I always get an error message.
IGS

Post by IGS »

david c wrote:If you get any of these emails, forward them to spam@paypal.com and they will be investigated.
I have had several and contacted PayPal about them and they advised to forward them on.
Just done that: I hope they don't start sending me loads of unsolicited emails trying to get me to open an account. Or worse - sell my email address on.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I get I Tunes emails as well with an invoice attached.