Rubble/concrete removal

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
RichardH

Rubble/concrete removal

Post by RichardH »

We need to replace an outbuilding's roof, which is made of corrugated cement sheets. I have had it tested, and it contains no asbestos. However, from past experience, as soon as anyone sees corrugated concrete that just say "ah, that contains asbestos, can't touch it" - which is wierd, as I thought you had to actually do tests rather than just look at something from 8 feet away, but hey ho...

Can anyone suggest any companies that take building waste, and might be able to accept this? I guess it may come to having to pay as if it were asbestos, but I'd prefer not to!!
Northsider

Re: Rubble/concrete removal

Post by Northsider »

As you had it tested you should have got an authenticated report/test certificate; have you? That should be enough for any builder/contractor.

I'm assuming this is only a small building, that can be reached from the ground and you can do it yourself safely.

If you are really that confident that the sheets are cement concrete only, why don't you smash it all up as small as possible until it becomes rubble and put it in any builders skip?
You'd better be sure though because if anyone sees the meerest hint of a fibre (asbestos or not) in the broken pieces the whole skip load is potentially contaminated and it'll cost you a fortune to dispose of it.

If you are unsure take the sheets out whole without breaking/cutting them. You'd better wear proper dust stopping masks and disposable overalls.
Then try this link for asbestos removal companies.
http://www.arca.org.uk/asbestos-industr ... tfordshire

And whatever you do, don't stand on the roof.....
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Yes, I have got a certificate. I had three different parts of the roof tested, just to be sure that it was the same stuff throughout.

When we had a small amount to dispse of, I did the same thing - had it tested, got a certificate. I called WasteAware, explained the situation, and was told that yes, it would be fine to take to the dump. So I loaded it all into my car, drove down there, only to be told that I couldn't dump it because "it was asbestos". The certificate was ignored because "that could be for anything". After many phone calls, and me showing them evidence (by invoice) of me having paid for asbestos removal when I DID have some, they agreed to accept it - but they still treated it as if it were asbestos.

So no - a certificate would seem not to be enough for any builder/contractor.
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

So in that situation where exactly does one go from there? You get the required 'Certificate' for it. You then load it into your vehicle and duly take it to that dreadful dump (I presume you mean the one in Ware) and the 'Personnel' Employed there refuse to accept it. How more ridiculous can the situation be :!:
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Indeed.

The builder I am hoping to get to replace the roof has told me of ridiculous situations where they have bought concrete roofing sheets in the morning, and tried to dispose of the surplus that afternoon only to be told they can't "because it's asbestos" - despite it being stamped up as non toxic etc.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

I wish you good luck with this.

I have just got rid of 20 ft of soil stack made of the same material, and an old attic water tank, plus some soffit boards all of the same material. It is classified as cement asbestos and the only contractors who would touch it are those on the previously mentioned website. Shield failed to return three calls altogether and on the fourth occasion the manager only returned the call four days later, having promised 24 hours, by which time I had contacted Allan Dyson Ltd at Leyden Road Stevenage, and they came and took it all away for safe disposal within two working days.

For £250 plus VAT.

Its painful but apparently necessary.

One source's (unattributable) advice was to bury it in the garden.....
Last edited by Scottman on Fri 30 Sep 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Did you get it tested? I do know that a fair bit of it DOES contain asbestos. I guess if those who take i away for disposal are going to get the same problems as me, then it all ends up having to be treated thus.

Yes, I think I paid about the same amount for 4 8x4' sheets of stuff that I had tested and did contain asbestos - though I had to take it down (wearing protective gear of course) and wrap it ready for collection... :/
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Now that we have started taking it off the roof, we can see it is stamped with a part number - "Marley Eternit 2000" - which from speakign to Marley's technical department absolutely does NOT contain asbestos.

You can see what's coming though, can't you. Having called up a skip hire company, they still say they have to dispose of it as if it were asbestos, because as soon as they turn up to deposit it, they will be challenged.

So from what I have been quoted so far, I am looking at around £1000 to have it taken away.

I can only say one thing - NEVER use fibre cement as a roofing material, as if you ever need to get rid of it, you're stuffed.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Get Marley's technical department to put it in writing, then write to whoever controls the local waste tip for approval - again in writing. Then use that letter to confirm as you tip.

You should not be held hostage like this, if your stuff is not caught by the relevant asbestos control regs
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Actually, you are allowed to bury asbestos on your own land, but when selling you have to disclose the fact.

I think I may have found one skip company who are willing to accept it - so long as I have paperwork - so I am - as you say- going to get it in writing from Marley, as well as providing copies of the tests I had done.