New Windows shop in Star St. or Scam?

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
Aardvaark

Re: New Windows shop in Star St. or Scam?

Post by Aardvaark »

I had a young man phone yesterday, also from a Ware number, obviously Brighter Homes now using people wanting to earn a bit extra phoning from their homes. He asked if I remembered him phoning last year (!), so I said Yes - I reported you then to TPS and will do so again!! I've now complained to TPS each year for the past 5 years, but at least it does make them stop phoning for some time. My record was 30 calls from them in a week in the first year. I would urge anyone who receives these calls to fill in the Complaint Form online - would love to see this Company hit with a big fine.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Links to the online complaints form :
https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/consumer

They were recently on BBC's Rogue Traders
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... utions-ltd
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Aardvaark wrote:I had a young man phone yesterday, also from a Ware number, obviously Brighter Homes now using people wanting to earn a bit extra phoning from their homes.
I think you can set your phone system to call "from" any number you want - so they won't necessarily call from a Ware location - it's just another trick to make you think it's not a spam call.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the info Richard. However, doesn't that make a nonsence of the TPS's insistence on you giving them the company number when you complain about spam calls?
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Should anyone else have this happen perhaps it might be worth considering the idea of inviting him to meet at the shop the following day. Then arrange for the Police, Trading Standards or an interested Newspaper to be there or close by and get them sorted out one way or another.

Not that long ago the person would have been observed, followed and investigated thoroughly with view to proceedings if possible. But in todays wonderful world I realise that it might be difficult to get the 'Normal' agencies interested and the best chance is ringing a News desk.

But these 'Con Artists' will continue to be at it until the 'Agencies' whom are paid by our Taxes to make some effort and do their job properly, get off their backsides and get involved. Until then they continue to make money for themselves and cause misery for so many people.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Barzey wrote:Not that long ago the person would have been observed, followed and investigated thoroughly with view to proceedings if possible. But in todays wonderful world I realise that it might be difficult to get the 'Normal' agencies interested and the best chance is ringing a News desk.
Did you read my post and follow the link?
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Yes
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

RichardH wrote:I think you can set your phone system to call "from" any number you want - so they won't necessarily call from a Ware location - it's just another trick to make you think it's not a spam call.
The company are advertising for agents to earn extra money from your own home - so I thought that was probably what had happened in this case. You may be right however, I wouldn't put it past this company to try any trick going.In any event I put the full company details including phone number plus the Ware phone number I had been called from on the TPS complaint form. When I first posted I hadn't watched the Watchdog Rogue Traders link - very enlightening. Obviously the person calling was saying do you remember me calling last year as part of his script. He must be a bit shocked to hear people saying yes and we're going to complain about you again.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Aardvaark wrote:
RichardH wrote:I think you can set your phone system to call "from" any number you want - so they won't necessarily call from a Ware location - it's just another trick to make you think it's not a spam call.
The company are advertising for agents to earn extra money from your own home - so I thought that was probably what had happened in this case. You may be right however, I wouldn't put it past this company to try any trick going.In any event I put the full company details including phone number plus the Ware phone number I had been called from on the TPS complaint form. When I first posted I hadn't watched the Watchdog Rogue Traders link - very enlightening. Obviously the person calling was saying do you remember me calling last year as part of his script. He must be a bit shocked to hear people saying yes and we're going to complain about you again.
I obviously caused confusion by going off script. When asked if I recalled them calling last year I said no. That threw him and he just said "Oh, no point in speaking to you then" and rang off.
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

Another boring phone call about opening a DIY shop in Ware High St. after a fair gap
What no. will the shop be?
"Not sure we are waiting for two to called back."
Anyway this 'DIY' shop appears to be offering £2000 worth of vouchers for windows or cladding etc....which isn't very DIY
Withheld tel no.,
My best guess is like last time, if you say cladding for example, then a cladding firm wiill ring you in due course.
Just added for awareness