New Windows shop in Star St. or Scam?

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
RCR1

New Windows shop in Star St. or Scam?

Post by RCR1 »

Rung today from what displayed as an 01920 tel. no. offering me £500 off 'new windows.'
They said they were opening in Star St. shortly.
Something they said (which I dont wish to explain on here & it wouldn't help anyone else anyway) makes it possible its a scam.
Rang back, no answer. Am registered with TPS but that rarely makes any difference.
Had a brief google but found nothing. This note is in case its the latest scam & others get it
brassdoorknob

Re: New Windows shop in Star St. or Scam?

Post by brassdoorknob »

Had similar call last year. Star Street. Scam.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

As you got a telephone number for them, even though they weren't answering it and probably using it as a dummy number, can I suggest you report them to TPS and also to ICO (Information Commissioners Office). Both organisations have online reporting forms. It might not result in any direct action against those concerned, but all the reports made are helping to push through stronger legislation to deal with these nuisance telephone calls.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I get these sorts of call at intervals - usually from enviro type companies saying they will be "opening shortly in the high street". When I ask which empty premises they are going to take over, they go a bit quiet.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

I've just had a call from Brighter Homes of Harlow - they also say they are opening a shop in Ware and offered me a discount on new windows, fascias, doors etc. When I said I had had similar calls from the same firm for the past 5 years, had yet to see a shop open and had also complained to TPS about this company in each of the 5 years (this did stop calls from them for that year) the young man went away. It seems that the calls start around this time of year - when they take on another batch of students. I think the company just gives them a telephone directory and a script.
jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 »

I have also had the same experience with Brighter Homes over the last few years. Despite asking them to stop calling and being on TPS they never seem to give up.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Ah yes, Brighter Homes...they called here too. Lovely chap asked me how I was, which was ever so nice of him. So I said I was OK and asked him how he was.

He told me he was good too, so I said, That's excellent so goodbye....
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

I hope someone makes a report to the local Police on this
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Brighter Homes eh? Will watch out for them.
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

Well, after a fair time gap Brighter Home Solutions from Harlow has started calling again. The female agent who called at the start rings from a Ware number ending 011. She said their main office is in Harlow. If you google "brighter home TV" you will see a company of that name with a Harlow office featured on BBC One Watchdog last June which doesnt appear to have altered their tactics.
I was offered vouchers, discounts, even 40% off if I allowed photos etc etc. The subsequent male callers didn't know they had been on BBC TV when I mentioned it. How strange!!! I'm still registered with TPS for what its worth and will report it. But if you fancy dealing with them please watch the Watchdog TV program online first and see what you're in for