Presdales Pit

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
Martin

Presdales Pit

Post by Martin »

I see that Bayfordbury Estates are at it again. They have erected some rather imposing fencing and seem to be renewing their efforts to develop the land to the east of Hoe lane. You may recall that several years ago they tried to get permission to build on the land formerly know as Presdales Pit, but it was turned down due to "the considerable ecological value of this rich and varied landscape", and that "any development would destroy this unusual and rare habitat".

Well, undeterred they now want this Green Belt land covered with commercial and industrial units, which will presumably redesignate the land as non-Green belt, and will therefore be far more suitable for housing in the future. No doubt there is considerable demand for a temporary, vast new business area on the edge of Ware, particularly as other commercial areas now have blocks of flats built on them.
Steve

Re: Presdales Pit

Post by Steve »

Martin wrote:Well, undeterred they now want this Green Belt land covered with commercial and industrial units
Do you have a planning reference so we can find out more?
jbond

Post by jbond »

This got mentioned in the supporting documents for the EHDC plan. I have mixed feelings about this. With the A10 and Hoe Lane as a boundary, good access to Rush Green and the Amwell roundabouts, next to the Ringway site and with no residential housing anywhere near, this actually looks like a good site for light industrial units. Similar to the Gentlemen's Field area on the A602. And it would add employment in the Ware area. I'd rather see an industrial area here than on the big open fields between Wodson and Moles farm.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Well according to the sign now erected at what will be the new entrance, its going to be the new cattle market.

Do I believe that?

I can find no evidence of planning applied for or given
Steve

Post by Steve »

Martin

Post by Martin »

This doesn't make sense.

On the one hand the sign says that they are intending to construct a cattle market with 220 car and lorry parking spaces, (which they applied for 25 years ago), whilst the Bayfordbury Estates spokeswoman says they are hoping to turn the area into a location for local start-up businesses.

What nonsense.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

So here's my hunch.

East Herts Council has been completely blindsided by this sudden 'development'. Bayfordbury Estates has decided it is high time to push the system by constructing a bit of frontage and hoisting a panel to take advantage of the long-open planning agreement for the Cattle Market (as per the Mercury article) but is actually talking about employment opportunities to garner local support for an industrial site instead. I think its called running a flag up the flagpole, to gauge the reaction.

It will then morph into a part industrial part residential proposal in the same way as has been proposed for the land to the north of Moles Farm. And then it will shimmer into a packed residential development, where it will finally and profitably settle. And no-one will know quite how that happened....

[Edit] Apologies - I realise I have merely reiterated what Martin said at the start.