Local sports reports

Contributions, adding your business or organisation, suggestions and feedback.
malcmac

Local sports reports

Post by malcmac »

I 'm sure this isn't going to be popular with the guys who post the results of the local football and rugby match reports but I was wondering if this might be better served as a link on an updated page rather than a new post every time one of the local teams plays a match.

Personally I love having a quick look at WOL to see the latest threads of discussion about what's happening about town, however, there always seems to be at least 2 threads reporting what's going on in local football and rugby matches and although I'm sure there are some people who are desperate to find out how the local sports teams did, I and I suspect quite a few others aren't.

Please don't take this as an attack on the guys posting the details, because it isn't, but might this be better under an updated link rather than clogging up the last 10 topics?

Tin hat on and ready for crossfire! :D
Mel

Re: Local sports reports

Post by Mel »

boom :lol:
Alec

Post by Alec »

Completely agree!

That said, this forum is hardly so active that you miss stuff off the bottom, so maybe it's not such a huge impact.

But threads titled "Football fixtures/scores", "Cricket fixtures/scores", "Rugby fixtures/scores" would make sense - especially as the oft used format of "date team a vs team b" often gives no clue as to the sport involved (as well as being so long that it wraps over a number of lines)

It's a bit like having the old "Local live music" thread (until deleted), rather than a new discussion thread for every single gig.

While it does make some sense if you actually go to the Sports section of the forum index - seeing a chronological list - I wonder how many people ever use anything but the latest 10 topics on the home page.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Hi Guys.

As you are aware I place the Hertford RFC matches on the forum and its quite obvious to everyone that its the oval ball game as football teams are not called Rugby Football Clubs (RFC). If the forum is very active then the sport reports drop down the list and fall off the bottom like all other threads, some threads linger for ages as no new threads appear so it is all in the hands of the members the more active the forum the quicker the threads drop off. I have not found that posting Hertford RFC threads has driven topics off the forum and if you are finding that sport in Ware is making you miss topics maybe you need to take a look at the site more often! ;)
As an example I often find when posting the result to a fixture that the original post is only two or three from the top on only a few occasions has it not been there at all.
The rugby season is relatively short and will be coming to an end soon so you will be able to have a rugby free forum for awhile although there are others who will be looking forward to the start of the next season.

There you are no tin hat required, and remember its good to share.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Must admit I tend to go straight into the forum, then just click on the "View unread posts" link at the top left. It is then easy to whip through all new posts. Read hte ones you are interested in, ignore the ones you're not (any sports reports for instance - the thread title makes it plain) - then click "Mark forums read" (top right) to mark those unread threads so thy no longer appear in the unread posts list.
craig

Post by craig »

Alec wrote:Completely agree!

That said, this forum is hardly so active that you miss stuff off the bottom, so maybe it's not such a huge impact.
Quite agree - as long as there are still a few people using the forum, shame to stop it now.
Alec wrote:But threads titled "Football fixtures/scores", "Cricket fixtures/scores", "Rugby fixtures/scores" would make sense - especially as the oft used format of "date team a vs team b" often gives no clue as to the sport involved (as well as being so long that it wraps over a number of lines)
A good suggestion - Could we try that? As new results are posted under the same thread, it'll naturally appear on the latest posts again.
Alec wrote:It's a bit like having the old "Local live music" thread (until deleted), rather than a new discussion thread for every single gig.
It wasn't deleted, it was parked while the mods discussed how to deal with posts exclusivinly from the HCE and the Ware Drill Hall. That was a mistake I feel and was reinstated shortly afterwards, but by then Alec had been scared off. Do restart it Alec if you like. :oops:

http://www.wareonline.co.uk/discussion/ ... ?f=17&t=43
Alec

Post by Alec »

Andy B wrote:its quite obvious to everyone that its the oval ball game as football teams are not called Rugby Football Clubs (RFC).
Don't underestimate the inability of people not to understand a "foreign" language (i.e, RFC)! It's a bit like me mentioning band names - loads of people will recognise them immediately, but rather more will just say "who?"...
craig wrote:It wasn't deleted, it was parked while the mods discussed how to deal with posts exclusivinly from the HCE and the Ware Drill Hall. That was a mistake I feel and was reinstated shortly afterwards, but by then Alec had been scared off. Do restart it Alec if you like. :oops:
Ah never realised. Wasn't scared off, just didn't know it had returned. I'll restart in there (but keep it to one thread ;) )
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

I feel I must add that it is an excellent idea to have all those Sports items in their own section as I too have noted such and shared the very same concerns as 'Malcmac' for some while now.