Research into On-Street Parking in Christchurch Ward

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Alexander Curtis

Research into On-Street Parking in Christchurch Ward

Post by Alexander Curtis »

Hello good people of Ware Online,

First of all, thank you very much to the people of Christchurch ward for electing me as their new town councillor. I have already started work on a couple of projects to help improve life for people in the town, and I am interested in hearing experiences (good and bad!) of on-street parking facilities in Ware (specifically Christchurch ward, though I am happy to help other people too). I am especially interested in hearing from people living in the Cross Street/Raynsford Road/Vicarage Road area as those streets are particularly saturated at certain points with parked cars. While canvassing this election, I heard a number of stories from local residents about their inability to park near their home on some days. Because of this, I am trying to arrange a meeting with the relevant people at East Herts to see if any measures can be taken to help relieve the situation as much as is realistically possible.

I have visited a number of problem sites to take photos for an evidence file for a report I am creating on this matter, therefore any feedback on on-street parking issues in Ware would be much appreciated. I am particularly interested to hear feedback on the following Ware on-street parking issues:
  • The successes (or otherwise!) of the Gladstone Road/Crib Street Residents Parking Scheme
  • Commuters parking outside local residents' homes, congesting residential streets
  • The availability of long stay car parking places in Ware Town Centre (not strictly on-street, but additional long term car parking bays might relieve parking congestion from town centre workers on nearby residential streets)
  • The adequacy of parking provision for new developments (residential and/or commercial)

You can also connect with me via my council twitter account @aja_curtis or email me at alex.curtis@waretowncouncil.gov.uk

Thanks to all in advance,

Alex

Cllr Alexander Curtis
Ware Christchurch
Aardvaark

Re: Research into On-Street Parking in Christchurch Ward

Post by Aardvaark »

Could I ask that you also look at the parking on or very close to corners of roads - we don't live in any of the roads that you mention but nearby and we find that is increasingly difficult to get out of our road due to this inconsiderate and dangerous parking. Much as I hate yellow lines, it seems to be the only solution to try and keep sight lines clear.
Alexander Curtis

Post by Alexander Curtis »

Aardvark,

I will make a note of that issue and I will see what can be done. The roads I mentioned were just a few that I heard quite a lot about parking on the doorstep from. I didn't have time to canvass some of the surrounding roads, but I am sure that parking is a big issue on those roads too. I am willing to hear parking concerns for any road in Ware, though if a road is outside of my ward; I will have to get some of my colleagues involved as unfortunately I am not a councillor for the entire town, just one part of it!
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

I'm a Vicarage Road resident. There certainly is a problem with rail commuters parking in Raynsford Rd and Cross St. Also the Mercedes garage uses those same roads for over-spill stock?

Although I'm always fearful of resident's parking schemes, as they're just a back door way to tax us.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Great to have another Councillor engage with us Wolers.

You mention 'Gladstone Road' parking scheme...... this was mentioned donkey years ago but never implemented; ehdc couldn't even be bothered to make it one way, so now we have no parking scheme except that local 'workers' use our road as a car park.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

As to "The adequacy of parking provision for new developments (residential and/or commercial) you only have to look at the recent granted applications, particularly round the town centre - the old sorting office has 8 spaces for (If I recall correctly) over 40 bedrooms (I see the contractors have destroyed the pavement outside - which we paid for, but that is ot), other developments have none at all, where can these residents park other than in the surrounding streets.

Not a big fan of CPZs because they just push the problem into a smaller and smaller area - presumably eventually we will only be able to park outside our own houses (if you can find a space) - if you are going to have them I would like to see permits in narrow roads only granted to cars below a given width, if you can't fit in the space you can't park.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

High Oak Road can get interesting at times with pavement parking both sides of the road.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

ware_resident wrote:High Oak Road can get interesting at times with pavement parking both sides of the road.
The lorries, bin men and fire engine seem to get up ok and I've never had any problem - but then I have a small car. (it even goes round the ASDA ramp)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

High Oak Road is usually very bad for pedestrians, especially if you have a pushchair and small kids. Mine are older now but I was forced out into the road many times, and other time had to squeeze past cars parked on the pavement.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

Pedestrian use of High Oak is not helped by a resident not keeping his hedge trimmed so that it now covers the whole foot way as far as the vehicle parked outside his house. He lives at ........( number with held but you know who you are )