Previous John Gilpin pub

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Jimob23

Previous John Gilpin pub

Post by Jimob23 »

Planning permission appears to have been granted as work has started on the old John Gilpin site
Bearing in mind the parking planning or better said lack of that went into the Sainsbury site one hopes more has been undertaken here
Spring Viewer

Re: Previous John Gilpin pub

Post by Spring Viewer »

Sorry, planning for what?
Steve

Post by Steve »

What work have they started exactly? Groundwork? Demolition? Construction?

https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/o ... NNOGLIM500
Jimob23

Post by Jimob23 »

Extract from Regenta website

THE JOHN GILPIN
LONDON ROAD, WARE
HERTFORDSHIRE, SG12 9LX

We have now successfully gained planning permission for ten three and four bedroom houses.

Construction will begin early August and we hope to be on site selling from the beginning of 2017.

For all enquiries please call the sales team on 020 8502 5758 or enquire online through the CONTACT US page.

Demolition of perimeter wall in progress which soon after one would presume the existing building
Jimob23

Post by Jimob23 »

Spring Viewer wrote:Sorry, planning for what?
Residents vehicle parking and more importantly visitors or will we see congestion with parking close to existing bus stop
Jimob23

Post by Jimob23 »

Extract taken from the Transport document forming part of the planning application

The development will utilise the existing vehicular access to the site via A119 London Road, which will provide access for all vehicles, including resident’s vehicles, delivery and service vehicles, refuse collection vehicles and emergency vehicles. It should be noted that the existing Public House access via Gilpin Road will be closed off. It can therefore be expected that the proposed site layout will bring about an improvement in road safety at the junction of Gilpin Road / A1170 London Road due to the reduction in traffic using it compared to when the access was available to vehicles to gain access to the John Gilpin Public House car park.

All they are proposing is to move the existing possible traffic congestion from Gilpin road closer to the existing roundabout !
craig

Post by craig »

Jimob23 wrote:All they are proposing is to move the existing possible traffic congestion from Gilpin road closer to the existing roundabout !
I don't think there was any traffic congestion exiting the pub car park on to Gilpin Road was there?
Not much of an improvement to road safety unless the car park was a rat- run in the monrnings from Gilpin Road thorugh the car park on to the London Road!
Possible the samlledt rat run in the country... :D
Jimob23

Post by Jimob23 »

craig wrote:
Jimob23 wrote:All they are proposing is to move the existing possible traffic congestion from Gilpin road closer to the existing roundabout !
I don't think there was any traffic congestion exiting the pub car park on to Gilpin Road was there?
Not much of an improvement to road safety unless the car park was a rat- run in the monrnings from Gilpin Road thorugh the car park on to the London Road!
Possible the samlledt rat run in the country... :D
I don't think the pub traffic times were the same as the off to work times but time will tell
ollynbloom

Post by ollynbloom »

I live nearby and so monitored it closely (including objecting despite the fact it was clearly going to go ahead).

There are in fact 2 spaces accessible only from Gilpin Road (and only IN REVERSE GEAR!!) which will bung up that narrow road at certain times, as well as inadequate provision for the other houses in the development. The parking was originally submitted with 18 spaces for 10 houses and then they resubmitted the plans with a few more (24 I think). The extent of their defense to the lack of parking (aside from employing a suspiciously positive Traffic Analysis company) was that it wouldn't be worse than when it was a pub, which is nonsense, as pub users leave at all times of day. Residents tend to focus around certain times. Just in the few years we've lived in Ware the traffic is terrible and I think if you add a few more cars from the Gilpin wanting to turn right instead of left and you have chaos for pedestrians and other drivers.
Also, all the surrounding roads are already at capacity and there isn't anywhere to expand into (parking wise). I don't mind walking from my house to park as I grew up without parking anyway, but less than a block out we are bordered by double yellow lines (then the college), the river and the school, so even this isn't an option. The spaces they put in were not enough for the average 4 bed house (2 cars I would think minimum) so that leaves only 3 or 4 spaces or so for visitors.
I think it will be a lovely development when it is built but it is a shame that they couldn't find a way to not make parking/traffic worse. My biggest issue is that in most new build developments (like the one right next to Ware station) there are areas where cars can just park without there being a designated space so whilst there may only be 6 spaces or whatever you know there is room for 10. This isn't possible at the Gilpin because of the tiny space and the density of the houses. It is just greed and I doubt even the developer expected to get away with 10 houses in that tiny site. They are effectively building an entire street of houses and squeezing them into the space of an old pub. Its crazy.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

No recent developments have adequate parking, the ones at the sorting office are ridiculous to name but one.

They force more and more cars into a smaller and smaller area and then (as they are about to do here) when it reaches break point they paint double yellow lines - problem solved.