Tesco Ware?

News and views on shopping in the town.
jasmine98

Re: Tesco Ware?

Post by jasmine98 »

I agree about Ware Tesco, my own experience is that the only good part is the Pharmacy. I use Hoddesdon Aldi
and now that it has been extended, it is great. However, the car park is now the problem with the increased usage it is often impossible to find a space.
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Aldi are open until 9pm so if you are able to get out later, the car park and shop are quite empty.

I am trying to juggle my life so I can make Aldi my main shop as at the moment it is intermittent.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Never had any real problems in Hoddesdon Aldi's car park. It's generally full-ish, but never had to wait more than about a minute for a space, if I have to wait at all. We tend to go Saturday, late morning to early afternoon. The car park looks like it should be awful, but never has been for us.
naga

Post by naga »

Big-ish Aldi opened recently in Harlow. Not as close though but might be an alternative to Hoddesdon.
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

To bring this back on topic of Tesco Ware I would think it is currently fairly profitable as it has no real competition in town. However with new stores arriving on its doorstep fairly soon it will be interesting to see how much they fight for market share or just walk away and close the doors.
naga

Post by naga »

Does anyone know when the ASDA is planning to open doors?
John_D

Post by John_D »

naga wrote:Does anyone know when the ASDA is planning to open doors?
The original planned opening was due to be 'Easter 2015' :geek:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Wareite1969 wrote:To bring this back on topic of Tesco Ware I would think it is currently fairly profitable as it has no real competition in town. However with new stores arriving on its doorstep fairly soon it will be interesting to see how much they fight for market share or just walk away and close the doors.
I think that's the huge risk. I suspect Tesco will not close in Ware once Asda opens, but if it did close, that would have a big impact on all the other stores on the High Street that are already struggling. I doubt very much if Tesco would sell the site to another food store as they don't like doing that, thus people would effectively be forced to use Asda instead should Tesco close the doors.

However, I'd be very surprised if that happens, the news of Tesco closing 43 stores and cancelling another 49 seems very large, but in proportion to over 3,000 stores it has represents just under 3% of all stores. Let's hope it makes Tesco up their game as it's very good for Ware having a big-ish supermarket right in the centre of town.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Ian wrote:
Wareite1969 wrote:To bring this back on topic of Tesco Ware I would think it is currently fairly profitable as it has no real competition in town. However with new stores arriving on its doorstep fairly soon it will be interesting to see how much they fight for market share or just walk away and close the doors.
I think that's the huge risk. I suspect Tesco will not close in Ware once Asda opens, but if it did close, that would have a big impact on all the other stores on the High Street that are already struggling. I doubt very much if Tesco would sell the site to another food store as they don't like doing that, thus people would effectively be forced to use Asda instead should Tesco close the doors.

However, I'd be very surprised if that happens, the news of Tesco closing 43 stores and cancelling another 49 seems very large, but in proportion to over 3,000 stores it has represents just under 3% of all stores. Let's hope it makes Tesco up their game as it's very good for Ware having a big-ish supermarket right in the centre of town.
Normally they wouldn't sell to a competitor but in this case I wonder, anyone on the site would not be competing directly with Tesco but with Asda/Sainsbury.
Any impact on the High St remains to be seen, the possibility that ASDA/Sainbury will bring trade in has always been pooh poohed but remains one possibility. As for being forced to use Asda, I have already spoken to people who walk to Tesco (or go by bus) and they will be using Sainsbury.
My personal opinion is that Tesco will struggle - it already seems quieter in there than in the past, maybe just the times I go, but we certainly do less shopping there due to them no longer stocking items.
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

Tesco may seem quieter but with well over 200,000 customers using grocery home delivery the footfall is bound to take a hit.
Home delivery may not be for everyone but we, and most of our circle of friends just go to the store once every month or two these days.
I dont doubt that Aldi is cheaper than Tesco. However the saving may not be so large when comparing going to Aldi & getting Tesco home delivery for £1.
Time , petrol and the not insignificant vouchers narrow the cost gap a fair bit. The biggest (& rare) voucher of £15 off £60 of shopping and the more usual £12 off £100 that pop up help a fair bit, never mind all the fiddly little vouchers and the cash back when shopping 'would have been cheaper elsewhere.'
However after Easter when Asda opens I expect Watton Rd traffic to be up and footfall in Tesco to be well down until people get used to Asda & numbers stabile somewhat. Hopefully Tesco's Client Relationship Software will spot my postcode and send me more big value vouchers!