Returning to Ware

News and views on shopping in the town.
Andy B

Re: Returning to Ware

Post by Andy B »

I'm pleased its not just me that forget things Mel!
Mel

Post by Mel »

:oops: all getting old but really!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I have just done a tour of Ware, on Google Street View, and cannot think why I didn't think of it before!
The time frames vary depending on where you are but the High Street is November 2015 so pretty current it even goes down East and West Streets although they are October 2014.
I'm impressed with Star Street that development has really made a difference I had also forgotten about the Spar in Amwell End.
The old Charville site also looks quite different it'll be good to walk around and see it all in the flesh.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Some areas of Ware have not been updated for ages. They are still building the Westgate Care Centre along Tower Road according to Google.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I am arranging to meet a friend for an evening meal while in Ware and he being a non Ware or ex Ware resident has left it to me to book somewhere to dine but in six years I am sure that eateries have changed as I expect standards and quality have so what can you guy's recommend? Please don't say where not to go as I would rather concentrate on the positives.

Thanks in advance.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Sfizio in Church Street Andy, you'll get a lovely meal at a reasonable price. Zero in Star Street is lovely but expensive. Or the Spanish one Casa Lua near Boots, that's very nice.
naga

Post by naga »

Casa Lua has always been one of our favourites (might have to book though).
No1 Thai (with Bring your Own wine) is nice, but menu is quite limited.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Having returned its now just about time to leave once again, it has been a pleasant experience coming back after six years and seeing the changes and it all still feels very familiar. The change of shops and pubs is good and having frequented a few over the last week or so they seem to be thriving with a good atmosphere in them all. I was pleased to see that Tudor Square has not as yet been tampered with and hopefully any alterations in the future will not change its ability to be used for communal projects and events although I was told that plans are afoot? Star Street was quite refreshing with the changes there but the old cinema is looking drab and uncared for I'm unsure what it could be used for now but what ever it is the cost will probably be the stumbling block. Kingshill shops look far better than they used to and the car park is excellent even though its taken sometime to achieve.
So Ware is changing, vibrant and evolving which is what it must do to survive.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Andy B wrote:Having returned its now just about time to leave once again, it has been a pleasant experience coming back after six years and seeing the changes and it all still feels very familiar. The change of shops and pubs is good and having frequented a few over the last week or so they seem to be thriving with a good atmosphere in them all. I was pleased to see that Tudor Square has not as yet been tampered with and hopefully any alterations in the future will not change its ability to be used for communal projects and events although I was told that plans are afoot? Star Street was quite refreshing with the changes there but the old cinema is looking drab and uncared for I'm unsure what it could be used for now but what ever it is the cost will probably be the stumbling block. Kingshill shops look far better than they used to and the car park is excellent even though its taken sometime to achieve.
So Ware is changing, vibrant and evolving which is what it must do to survive.
As I understand it the works to Tudor Square were supposed to have started by now. At the exhibition they said it would still be usable by M&M etc but, since one of the intentions behind the changes was said to be to keep cars out, I don't see how that could work. we shall see.

The change of the cinema to flats is ongoing, planning have not yet granted permission but it is only a matter of time.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I noticed that Winters in Baldock Street has a change of use notice on it from commercial to residential.