Cycling from Hatfield to Ware

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Pat-H

Cycling from Hatfield to Ware

Post by Pat-H »

Have some time on my hands and wanted a more interesting keep fit option than running on the spot at the gym.
I take my bike in the car to Hatfield. My wife drives it home when she finishes work.
That lets me cycle from the University back to Ware.
Apart from one road section past the QE2 its all off road.
13 miles around (edited) 75 mins.
Here's the trip speeded up X8

https://youtu.be/tz_zQ5sVgk0

Its a shame that the Ware section of the towpath is about the worst part of the whole ride.
The path starts to break up by the pumping station and is pretty horrid from there into Ware.
Last edited by Pat-H on Thu 26 May 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Re: Cycling from Hatfield to Ware

Post by Steve »

Pat-H wrote:Its a shame that the Ware section of the towpath is about the worst part of the whole ride.
The path starts to break up by the pumping station and is pretty horrid from there into Ware.
Tell them about it ...

eastofengland@sustrans.org.uk
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

13 miles around 17mins. ???
That's 45 mph! I doubt I could drive it that fast.

If your going to exaggerate your level of fitness, you should keep it believable :D

I'll assume its a typo though. If your 9 minute+ video is speeded up x8, you get 1 hour 17 minutes :D

That seems more reaonable
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

FurtiveBertie wrote:
13 miles around 17mins. ???
That's 45 mph! I doubt I could drive it that fast.

If your going to exaggerate your level of fitness, you should keep it believable :D

I'll assume its a typo though. If your 9 minute+ video is speeded up x8, you get 1 hour 17 minutes :D

That seems more reaonable
Thanks I've corrected the typo.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Apparently, this is the line from the Canals and Rivers Trust:

“The Canal & River Trust owns a majority of the towpath adjacent to the Lee Navigation, although there are some sections that are owned by local authorities and Lee Valley Park. We encourage various users to our towpaths including walkers, runners, and cyclist, but have no obligation to maintain them to cycling standards even if they are classified as national cycling routes. We have inspectors who regularly walk our towpaths and report any significant defects which we endeavour to address, but as you will appreciate we have limited funds and therefore have to prioritise our works.”

If you'd like to put pressure on them to take a closer look at this section, please email Enquiries.London@canalrivertrust.org.uk
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I did 14 km in 46 minutes this morning all part of my fitness plan to keep the ole ticker active but I'm not up to the 13 mile standard yet but working on it.
The majority of cycle tracks here are well maintained but there a big cycling culture here we have a route called the Great Taste Trail which is 120 km route taking in vineyards and coastal cafes you can even fly in and start at the the airport where theres a bike maintenance stand to put your bike together.
http://nzcycletrail.com/trails/tasmans- ... ste-trail/
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It's a wonder you didn't hit some pedestrians cycling at that speed!

Seriously, a nice video. It reminds me of the BBC video of the London to Brighton railway journey (which I think they have now done three times).
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

What a great video, thanks. I cycle in the summer to work from Ware to Hertford, hardly on your scale ;) but I guess it all helps. I agree, the footpath between Ware and Hertford is atrocious in places, more so than anywhere I have found half way to Hatfield (furthest I went) and as far south as Cheshunt.