Local Elections

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
JudieT

Local Elections

Post by JudieT »

Has anyone received any information from anyone about the election tomorrow? I have absolutely no idea who's standing or what they are promising. It's no wonder people don't both voting any more if the candidates can't even be bothered to let their electorate know about them!
The Masked Woler

Re: Local Elections

Post by The Masked Woler »

I had a leaflet from the sitting Conservative - is anyone else bothering to stand? At the last election there were wards with only the Cons running since we know who will win. It is a waste of your time running against them.
Apparently he is a responsive representative - odd since I didn't even get an acknowledgement to my emails.
I see the only non con on the town has stepped down - rather than have an election the others decided to appoint someone - surprisingly a Conservative was chosen.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Democracy is dead in East Herts. In 2015, with the general election on the same day as the district council elections, all of the East Herts District Council seats went Tory - and now all of the County Council seats have (although they probably were already). There is little point, in East Herts at least, of anyone standing apart from the Tories and what is the point of voting? Councillors and MPs are now chosen by the selection committee of the local Tory party. It's the return of the Rotten Boroughs of the eighteenth and nineteenth century.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Democracy is not dead at least not yet. If more people got off their backsides and voted perhaps there might be a change? Once upon a time Ware Town Council was 100% LibDem - I think the MP at the time Bowen Wells must have been worried about his seat as he came to visit us - shame he missed us!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Democracy is not dead but alive with people making their choice of not to vote but also apathy is is alive and well and gaining strength!
Mel

Post by Mel »

much better way of expressing it Andy than me!
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

In Ware North it was a meagre 30% turnout, so the sitting conservative got back in. Probably more double yellow lines coming to residential roads in Ware North from his highways locality budget.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I didn't even receive a polling card, let alone any literature from candidates. Never mind - still turned out to vote. I asked what the turnout had been thus far (9.30 pm ish) - 125 - a smidge pathetic even for such an overlooked election. Let's hope there is a better turnout next month when it really counts.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I shall be in the UK when NZ goes to the polls and we shall be voting from the UK, we choose not to take part in UK elections as we no longer liver there.
Interestingly in Aussie its illegal not to vote but I believe there's an abstention on the paper, from what I have been told its enforced too.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Andy B wrote:I shall be in the UK when NZ goes to the polls and we shall be voting from the UK, we choose not to take part in UK elections as we no longer liver there.
Interestingly in Aussie its illegal not to vote but I believe there's an abstention on the paper, from what I have been told its enforced too.
Always felt we should do the same here.
There should be electronic voting as well. You can access you bank by email but not vote! Just daft.
Make it easier, make it up to date and make people engage.