General Election

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Pat-H

Re: General Election

Post by Pat-H »

The young may have rebelled and slung mud. I can't really blame them. Their futures are on the line, mainly decided by a bunch of folks who don't really give a toss as they will be retired or dead.

But the Labour leader and his campaign didn't resort to that. The Tories did. May spent her time avoiding the debates and using scare tactics instead. As did the right wing press.

And I for one am encouraged to learn that tide seems to have turned. Instead of swinging people that way they went against the "popular" press and there is evidence that the right wing press scares actually cost the Tories votes.

Whatever party rules, and whatever leader it is, a more honest debated political system has to be a better thing and if the young voters can help drive that then good for them.

As for promising "goodies" I think many who voted that way voted for a different approach to running the country. We've tried Austerity and tried it again and still the promise of the deficit gone hasn't been delivered. But the price we've paid is high. Crippled services, food banks and more. And yet somehow the very rich are richer and the poor poorer.

So maybe a change is needed and after all what have the majority got to lose?

May had a great saying about "shaking the magic money tree". What she failed to mention is it does exist. It lives in the "tax evasion forest"

There is enough wealth to have everyone live a comfortable life, its just how its distributed that's at stake.

[Edit] Can't see this thread being "allowed" as it doesn't relate to Ware as such. yes we have young voters and yes the election result will have an impact locally but I don't think that counts as Ware related from past experiences on this forum :-)
Mel

Post by Mel »

Well said Pat!
Spring Viewer

Post by Spring Viewer »

Hear Hear, Pat
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Enough folks.
Don't push our luck.
This is WOL...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Pat-H wrote:I don't think that counts as Ware related from past experiences on this forum :-)
You're right, it's always been open season for moderators on this site :(
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Mel wrote:No offence Andy - the system is broken really. I didn't know who to vote for to be honest, I just wanted rid of the present incumbents but we may still yet achieve that. And then what will happen.... :o
I understand your confusion Mel having tried to follow the build up from NZ and hadn't a clue what was going on but we no longer vote in the UK as we do not live there anymore but do vote in New Zealand. I did come to the conclusion in the end, rightly or wrongly, that there didn't seem to be a party worthy of my vote!

I'm sure as the election affects Ware us Moderators will leave this thread alone.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

The only one I saw this time was David Argent.
A leaflet from Mark Prisk, nothing at all from anyone else - presumably not worth the bother as with the locals.

Our only non Tory on WTC stood down, the others decided there was no need for an election, they would appoint someone, big surprise it was another Conservative.

Will anyone else even bother to stand next time?
Steve

Post by Steve »

The Masked Woler wrote:The only one I saw this time was David Argent.
A leaflet from Mark Prisk, nothing at all from anyone else - presumably not worth the bother as with the locals.

Our only non Tory on WTC stood down, the others decided there was no need for an election, they would appoint someone, big surprise it was another Conservative.

Will anyone else even bother to stand next time?
Wait, what? You're probably mistaken there. All councillors are elected. The Town Council can't just decide not to bother and appoint someone of their choice!

Maybe you'd like to provide some more information to support your claim :-)
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

The Council advertised for applications to fill the vacant position, the adverts and detail have, of course, now been removed.
The Council then decided who to appoint.
Since I live in the ward concerned I can assure you no election has ever taken place.
Presumably the decision is recorded in the minutes, however they are months behind with putting them on the website so I can't check.
I asked one of the other Councillors who confirmed that this was what was happening and the Council had the power to do it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The Masked Woler wrote:The Council advertised for applications to fill the vacant position, the adverts and detail have, of course, now been removed.
The Council then decided who to appoint.
Since I live in the ward concerned I can assure you no election has ever taken place.
Presumably the decision is recorded in the minutes, however they are months behind with putting them on the website so I can't check.
I asked one of the other Councillors who confirmed that this was what was happening and the Council had the power to do it.
Councillors are only co-opted IF no-one else puts their name forward as a candidate. As far as I'm aware, if a seat becomes vacant then a by-election has to be advertised. However, if no-one is nominated or puts their name forward then someone can be co-opted on to the council.