Are we missing a Gazebo?

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Pat-H

Are we missing a Gazebo?

Post by Pat-H »

Walking along the towpath today and noticed a whole section boarded up on the other side.
Wasn't there a Gazebo there? Is it still there?
The Masked Woler

Re: Are we missing a Gazebo?

Post by The Masked Woler »

If you mean the large white boarded building which used to be by the river behind the sorting office, no it isn't.
The Council gave permission for it to be demolished so a house could be built.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I thought maybe they were protected? Haven't been down that way in ages, will have to have to a look.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

No it wasn't protected. It was not considered a gazebo (too large and was not built as a place to gaze from). Incidentally, only six of the riverside gazebos are protected (unless more have been added in recent years). The gazebo between nos. 28 and 34 Scotts Road (on top of the Grotto) is also listed. All the riverside gazebos are grade II listed and the Scotts Road gazebo is grade II*. The grotto itself is grade I, of course.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Do you mean that great big eye sore of a billboard advertising another new development? Was that a gazebo previously? Photo evidence to jog the memory would be good.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

This is the one I think, the one with four windows.
Attachments
Ware_Gazebos_from_south_bank_of_River_Lea.jpg
Ware_Gazebos_from_south_bank_of_River_Lea.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 15974 times
John_D

Post by John_D »

The Masked Woler wrote:This is the one I think, the one with four windows.
That is appalling! Whether it is a Gazebo or not, obviously of the same era, it is/was part of the visual picture of that part of the riverside. In this more enlightened time (as opposed to the 1960's) would it be acceptable to demolish a period building in the High Street and replace it with a modern building? So how is it acceptable to destroy this classic visual aspect of Ware's riverside? I only hope that whatever replaces it is in keeping with the remaining structures along that stretch of the riverside, but doubt very much that this will be the case. :evil:
Ian

Post by Ian »

John_D wrote:
The Masked Woler wrote:This is the one I think, the one with four windows.
That is appalling! Whether it is a Gazebo or not, obviously of the same era, it is/was part of the visual picture of that part of the riverside. In this more enlightened time (as opposed to the 1960's) would it be acceptable to demolish a period building in the High Street and replace it with a modern building? So how is it acceptable to destroy this classic visual aspect of Ware's riverside? I only hope that whatever replaces it is in keeping with the remaining structures along that stretch of the riverside, but doubt very much that this will be the case. :evil:
All of this (and a great deal more) that is wrong with the development was pointed out to the planning department by the Ware Society, but the objections were overruled.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Ah so I was wrong we're not missing a Gazebo. Just missing an attractive riverside element along that stretch between the Gazebos.
That's ok then.

I wonder what modern delight we will see in it's place? I just can't wait.

We may even find the current billboards weren't that bad compared to what's to come...
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

That is so bad. Perhaps if somebody at the Mercury reads this then they should write about this. The one scene of our town that is used the most has the middle cut out of it, madness!