Photos of Chadwell House

Questions and discussions about the town's past
pstretch

Photos of Chadwell House

Post by pstretch »

Does anyone have, or know where to get, any photographs of Chadwell House which once stood on what is now Chadwell, Ware?

I understand that it was sometimes known as Chadwell House or Chadwell Villa and that it was at one time owned by the Stallabrass family. I have a copy of the plan and several old OS maps showing the outline but I've been unable to find any photographs. I belive it was demolished sometime between 1945 and 1959.

Thanks.
shinybeans

Re: Photos of Chadwell House

Post by shinybeans »

Hi, try Hertfordshire Archives at County Hall in Hertford www.hertsdirect.org/hals
pstretch

Post by pstretch »

Thanks shinybeans. I got the plan from HALS but they don't have any photos.
Robo

Post by Robo »

We have some photos of Chadwell House dated about 1945 - 55 when the house was demolished. My wife lived there from 1945 to just before it was demolished. At that time it had been made into 5 flats. Can scan the photos and send them if you wish.
pstretch

Post by pstretch »

The scans would be great please.

I've sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks for your help.
Guyc

Post by Guyc »

I lived in a downstairs flat in Chadwell House as a young child from about 1951-55. Demolition must have been after July 1955 because my younger brother was born there. I have no photos, only memories - of no electricity and gas lights! The only memory useful to you might be that there was a largish disused swimming pool in the grounds at that time.