Latest Westmill Landfill Bulletin

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
WickenMan

Latest Westmill Landfill Bulletin

Post by WickenMan »

This bulletin was received today from the Environment Agency. It's worth reading if you are affected by the landfill site.

http://www.kenripper.co.uk/150212_Westmill_bulletin.pdf
WarePerson

Re: Latest Westmill Landfill Bulletin

Post by WarePerson »

Sickening smell out there at the moment. I would report, but other than reducing the value of my house, it really appears to have no impact. This time of year, I can cope with it, but with spring nearly here, I can only hope thay get it sorted out!
craig

Post by craig »

If you don't report it, there isn't a problem for them to address!
Steve

Post by Steve »

WarePerson wrote:I can only hope thay get it sorted out!
They won't know there's a problem unless you report it.
John_D

Post by John_D »

Steve wrote:
WarePerson wrote:I can only hope thay get it sorted out!
They won't have to acknowledge there's a problem unless you report it.
Corrected for accuracy ;)
WarePerson

Post by WarePerson »

I think they receive enough complaints to know that there is a problem. I have complained previously. The issue is, that if I continue to complain, there will be a nice big red blob over my house on the environmental map handed to any potential buyers of my property.
craig

Post by craig »

WarePerson wrote:The issue is, that if I continue to complain, there will be a nice big red blob over my house on the environmental map handed to any potential buyers of my property.
Is that really the case? I'd have thought that this information would be private and confidential. Do you know where this data appears if you are selling/buying a house?
WarePerson

Post by WarePerson »

I may still have a copy of the map, if so, I will post on here. The map shows the areas that complain the most about the landfill site. The higher the number, the darker the area is shaded (like a heat map) Wheatsheaf Drive is almost completely covered! I know this is an issue, but most local people know that for the majority of the time you can live with it, but for people outside the area, it must be a real turn off. This information was received as part of an environmental study that includes information like flood history etc. This is given to every buyer before completion.
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

E-mail received from Bainbridge, Victoria, Environment Agency
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 at 11:22

Odour Alert

This is an odour bulletin to alert you to the fact that we are about to commence critical works on site, these activities have the potential of producing an odour.

We are currently planning to install pin wells and scavengers pipes in cell 8. We plan to commence the works at the end of April/early May, with the works estimated to be completed within 1.5-2 weeks (subject to weather conditions). We will control the risk of odour escaping by limiting the number of pin wells drilled and by only having one trench open at a time, work will only be started when wind is in a favourable direction. Whilst the works are being carried out, a mobile deodorising unit will be utilised and moved along the sections of activity. When each well has been completed, the drilling team will ensure the well is fully sealed. No uncapped pin wells or scavengers will be left overnight and gas collection pipework will be connected to the existing system as soon as possible upon completion. Working hours are expected to be between 8.30am- 4pm.

Should you detect an odour during this time we would ask you where possible to report it either to ourselves during site opening hours 8:00 – 4:30 on 01920 462163 or to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60, 24hrs, whereupon we will endeavor to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Biffa Gas to Energy team Westmill
WarePerson

Post by WarePerson »

Sorry it's taken so long. The orange dots show where the complaints have come from.