welder required for classic

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
craig

welder required for classic

Post by craig »

Does anyone know of any local and reliable welders who can do some chassis repairs to my old Morris 1000?
Many thanks, Craig.
Pat-H

Re: welder required for classic

Post by Pat-H »

Did you sort this Craig?
I have a mig welder but it's more useful for bodywork repairs.
Probably need an arc welder for chassis and my experience of older cars would suggest Gas is even better.
My gas welding kit is now long gone but if you can find some kit I'll happily help.
craig

Post by craig »

Hi Pat-H.
I still haven't found anyone. The chap who has been promising to look at it, teased me one last time before he let me down again. :x

Because it is chassis work I'll prefer it to be done by a professional rather than try a DIY weld.
Once it's MOTed again, I'll certainly look you up regarding Mig welding.

Thanks for posting. :)
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Our local mechanic no longer does welding, but highly recommended the guys at DJ Rover - at the very least you will be able to get it up on the ramp and see what's needed.
craig

Post by craig »

An update: My Morris needs so much weldng - It's beyond my budget... I can only afford the DIY approach and do as much as I can myself.
It can't be that hard to learn. :?
Pat-H - If your MIG welder is still on the table, I'd appreaciate a little guidance on welding and perhaps purchasing my own.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Oh dear - poor old moggie. Hope you manage to get her going again Craig.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Craig I'll make contact over the weekend and pop round and have a look.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Welding on the flat is not to bad Craig but upside down and vertically are far more tricky I signed up for a college course and have a City & Guilds which was used when I was playing with steam engines. If you intend to take this on please do the course as it could become a safety issue if not done right.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Because I learned welding when I used to be a mechanic I hardly ever got to do it on the flat. Upside down was the norm.
When I was a teenager it was all out riggers and inner seals on friends cars.

Sadly I always preferred gas welding as its more flexible particularly with very thin and rusted metal. Arc or even mig welding can end up just blowing holes everywhere.

On the safety side I often ended up being the one sat in the car with a bottle of water putting out the fires! that carpet hair left glued to the metal burns really well.
Luckily mig welding makes a lot less heat and is far ore localised but you still need a second set of eyes on hand.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Pat-H wrote:Because I learned welding when I used to be a mechanic I hardly ever got to do it on the flat. Upside down was the norm.
When I was a teenager it was all out riggers and inner seals on friends cars.

Sadly I always preferred gas welding as its more flexible particularly with very thin and rusted metal. Arc or even mig welding can end up just blowing holes everywhere.

On the safety side I often ended up being the one sat in the car with a bottle of water putting out the fires! that carpet hair left glued to the metal burns really well.
Luckily mig welding makes a lot less heat and is far ore localised but you still need a second set of eyes on hand.
My comments were more directed at Craig as he seems to be intending some DIY!