Christmas lights

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Whereaami

Christmas lights

Post by Whereaami »

Just spotted this on the Ware Town Council's website: http://www.waretowncouncil.gov.uk/Core/ ... fault.aspx

Update on Ware Christmas Lights

This time last year Ware Town Council was considering buying new Christmas lights for the town. We carried out a consultation to find out what people thought of Ware’s Christmas lights. Strong opinions were put forward and an overwhelming majority of residents said they liked the existing lanterns style lights and should keep them. Taking this on board Ware Town Council decided that we would keep the existing lanterns but use more energy efficient bulbs, light up more of the trees in town and buy some new features to go across East Street and West Street. The new lights have arrived and will be going up soon. We hope you will like them.

Every year the Town Council pays for the cost of installing and taking down the lights. We ask for voluntary contributions from local businesses towards this. Letters will be going out to local businesses soon. If you run a local business and would like to contribute but haven’t received a letter, a voluntary donation of £50 payable to Ware Town Council can be handed in or sent to us at Ware Town Council, The Priory, High Street, Ware. SG12 9AL. or contact us at info@waretowncouncil.gov.uk for bank detail
Alec

Re: Christmas lights

Post by Alec »

:D

Pleased that this seems to have been a genuine consultation that's listened and responded. Hope that people are pleased with the results (I am).
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I'm pleased by this decision as I always thought the current (no pun intended) lights suited the town and the Dickensian theme, once the new lights are up some pictures would be appreciated. Maybe as a future project the lights could be converted to LED? Maybe a local electrical company could do it for a reasonable fee or even at cost with some advertising thrown in? Just a thought.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Yes great news that the old style is being retained.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Also delighted by the consultation and decision. There are a number of lighting companies hereabouts that might help out ....
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I have always liked Ware's christmas lights. They're simple and effective, they look wonderful each December. I'm really pleased the consultation has decided to keep the lights as they are.
JCB

Post by JCB »

A voluntary contribution of £50 - surely that should read something more along the lines of any voluntary contribution welcomed, with a guideline suggestion of £50?

On the other hand, very glad to hear that the in-character lighting will remain, Ware would not look the same if it were to be replaced with some gaudy 'modern' lighting.
patthefatcat

Post by patthefatcat »

its hardly voluntary if a certain demand for money is there. all the comments i hear about the lights are, "oh no not those tatty old things again". i do put the people straight about how they are replaced, just the lanterns are the same.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

They are being put up today.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Know the new bulbs were bought to save money, but they are so dim. The blue ones you can hardly see.