Christmas lights

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Pat-H

Re: Christmas lights

Post by Pat-H »

Have to agree the new low energy blubs look like they are trying to warm up and never make it.
They make the lights look sad and tired.
For how long the lights are on over the festive season I think the electrical saving isn't enough to justify the look.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

New bulbs are a joke.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

LED conversion is the answer they would be bright, save money in the long run and have longevity.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

New Boy wrote:New bulbs are a joke.
The lights have been a joke for years, looking even more worn and tired with the new so called improvements.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Whereaami wrote:
The lights have been a joke for years, looking even more worn and tired with the new so called improvements.
I'm afraid you're in a minority as Ware Town Council consulted on this last year and the overwhelming response was to keep the old ones as you can see from this report http://www.waretowncouncil.gov.uk/Core/ ... fault.aspx I'm sure the Council will welcome feedback if the lights aren't as good as before (I haven't had a chance to see them yet).
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Ian wrote:
Whereaami wrote:
I'm afraid you're in a minority as Ware Town Council consulted on this last year and the overwhelming response was to keep the old ones as you can see from this report http://www.waretowncouncil.gov.uk/Core/ ... fault.aspx I'm sure the Council will welcome feedback if the lights aren't as good as before (I haven't had a chance to see them yet).
People didn't vote for them to look worse than they did last year.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Whereaami wrote: People didn't vote for them to look worse than they did last year.
I'm sure the Council will welcome feedback if the lights aren't as good as before
JCB

Post by JCB »

I agree with Whereaami, the lights, whilst I am glad to see them retained, are a lot dimmer than they have been in previous years. I do not wish the lights to be replaced, but maybe the lamps should be switched to LEDs which not only would be longer lasting and more efficient but would be brighter as well.
Alec

Post by Alec »

So, the council listened to feedback and decided to retain the traditional lanterns - happy with that.

They also decided to replace the old incandescent lamps with low energy lamps - happy with that, as the potential energy savings are significant, along with potential for improved reliability.

Unfortunately, as anyone who's replaced their home lamps with LED lamps, especially in the early days, will have found out - lamp selection is critical, and it's never worth stinting. It looks like they went cheap. The resulting lamps are too dim to illuminate the lanterns effectively, both in brightness and in colour rendering, and do a particularly poor job with the blue lanterns. I do wonder how much the new solution was road tested. A shame really, as the money will now have been spent and I don't think we'll see these fittings relamped for a long time.

Not the end of the world, of course, but our lovely bright, friendly lanterns have become a rather insipid shadow of their former selves...
craig

Post by craig »

Alec wrote:Not the end of the world, of course, but our lovely bright, friendly lanterns have become a rather insipid shadow of their former selves...
:idea: I'll sponsor a lamp and replace the bulb with the correct type. I'll do a blue one. One down... :D