Cycling-walking, Towpaths, Bridges in Ware-Hertford

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Jethro

Re: Cycling-walking, Towpaths, Bridges in Ware-Hertford

Post by Jethro »

Just had an email back from Frank Overare at C&RT - basically they are seeking external funding for towpath repairs, he has logged the section from Ware to the gauge house for attention and he will keep me in formed regarding progress. Which puts me back to square 1 about 3 years ago when I first complained. All that's happened since then is that it has got considerably worse and nothing has happened apart from a couple of dollops of tarmac on the section from the gauge house to Hertford lock, which is like a billiard table compared to the Ware side.

So in a nutshell; all this talk of encouraging green transport is just paying lip service to what should be happening but in reality there is neither the money nor the will to do anything to make it happen.

Interesting though - there was no dispute regarding ownership of the path so I don't know what to make of the information in jbond's post on the 17th?
jbond

Post by jbond »

Good work.

I think the guy I spoke to has it wrong. It wouldn't surprise me that the area immediately around the weir and Ware lock is Environment Agency. Same for the immediate surrounds to the Gauge House and New River. But that the rest of the towpath towards Hertford is C&RT.
Steve

Post by Steve »

jbond wrote:Good work.

I think the guy I spoke to has it wrong. It wouldn't surprise me that the area immediately around the weir and Ware lock is Environment Agency. Same for the immediate surrounds to the Gauge House and New River. But that the rest of the towpath towards Hertford is C&RT.
Given the historic function of a towpath I would expect it all to be in CRT's ownership.
jbond

Post by jbond »

The bridge over the Tumbling Bay weir and the footbridge across the Lee to the east of Ware are now both unsafe.
https://www.facebook.com/spottedinware/ ... 0771019655

So come on, HCC, EHDC, WTC, Canal & River Trust, Environment Agency, Lea Valley Regional Park. Which one of you is going to take responsibility?
jbond

Post by jbond »

Classic response from HCC. So who is responsible for that bridge if it's not HCC Highways?

----
This is an update to the highway fault reported on 02/10/2018 17:06:00
The reference number is: 401000157229

Fault type: PEDESTRIAN GUARDRAILS DAMAGED OR MISSING

We have reviewed the information provided, as reported at this location, and this issue is not the responsibility of Highways. We have risk assessed the matter in line with our maintenance strategy and as it is considered safe we cannot assist you.

These issues may be managed by the District or Borough, rather than the County Council. Please report to the appropriate local council so they can assess your request.

They are listed here http://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/your-co ... /distlist/

We would value feedback on your experience of this Highways service. Please complete our online survey.

Regards
Hertfordshire County Council
jbond

Post by jbond »

Finally got though to somebody at the Canal & River Trust. Both these bridges are owned by them and they're responsible. They are Bridges 64 and 64A (64A over the weir). They've logged the faults and were aware of the main bridge problem. When I get a reference number back, I'll post it here.

The guy I spoke to suggested that funding might be an issue especially for the weir footbridge. And there lies the issue. It's all very well for HCC and Lee Valley Park to say in their transport and development plans that the bridges should be improved, but it's C&RT that has to find the money.

[edit to add]
C&RT say:
Main Bridge 64. Ongoing work to be done shortly (whatever that means) to fix the side rails, decking and make safe.

Weir Bridge 64A. No funding this financial year. They are aware of the problem and hope to do something during financial year 2019.
Mel

Post by Mel »

so they're waiting for someone to fall in are they?!
jbond

Post by jbond »

The main Bridge 64 at Crane Meads has been made safe. Broken decking timbers replaced. Temporary boarding across the gaps in the fence. Strimming of all the nettles.

It's a not a permanent fix but it is at least safe now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interesting article in the guardian in which Sustrans admit the network is crap

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -in-charge
jbond

Post by jbond »

Kind of important to us given that Route 1 and Route 61 go through the area and use the towpaths.