window cleaner - or not!

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Mel

window cleaner - or not!

Post by Mel »

Word of warning, we had a man knock a few weeks ago asking if we wanted the windows cleaned, I said no. The lady opposite said yes and they cleaned the downstairs ones, she paid and they left. He's been back a couple of times demanding more money, saying he'd cleaned the windows. Last night he arrived while her husband was out (8*:45 pm) and even went round the back of the house and knocked on the back door. My husband had a good look round for him but he had gone and he advised her to ring the police, whether they've done that I don't know. Worth keeping an eye out I thought?
mb1

Re: window cleaner - or not!

Post by mb1 »

Can you give a simple description of who to look out for?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Unfortunately I can't really remember, other than a youngish man, tall with dark hair. Didn't see him last night but the police have been informed.
Mel

Post by Mel »

and he's just been back would you believe! He's tall, fresh faced, very friendly person Was wearing a cap today. When he called before he asked me if I had a daughter who lived in the next road. Today he spoke to my husband and he asked him if we had sons who used to play football for Ware Youth! I think he even knocked on the door over the road but was told they didn't want him cleaning their windows any more!
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

Mel,

The tall friendly chap cleans our windows once a month or so. He took over the round a year or so ago from a chap called Kevin.

The thing with window cleaning is that you ask for windows to be cleaned regularly, and they come back at intervals. Maybe this wasn't made clear to your neighbour.

If it's the same chap (his name escapes me, but he has to stoop to get through doors), then he is absolutely genuine. He cleaned ours last week, and called for the money on Thursday evening. Its about £7. He washes the windows during the day, and calls round during the evening to be paid.

His business has bee built up over several years, and he cleans our windows well. I have no complaints, and would recommend him.

I'll check out his name tonight, but pm me of you want my phone number so I can talk to him next time. It might help you verify that he's genuine.

FB
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

I think you are talking about David, he come about every 6weeks to us and has done for quite a while.
I knew him when he was younger as he used to live over the road from us
Mel

Post by Mel »

That's very reassuring, thanks. Although very upsetting for our neighbour across the road on Wednesday night. We clean our own in any case and do not accept requests of work at the door like that.