Windows 10

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Steve

Re: Windows 10

Post by Steve »

Upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop (not my main PC) without any issues. Took about 4 hours to download and install.
brassdoorknob

Post by brassdoorknob »

Yes... do hang on until the last minute, to upgrade until Microsoft have properly finished the release (as some essential functionality of previous versions have been lost). Or have a spare PC, partition, or virtual machine to run Windows 10, so you have your original operating system to fall back upon.... plus, as mentioned in a previous post, do ensure it's compatible with your applications or drivers (software that interfaces your hardware with Windows). Other than that, it looks great!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've read a number of recommendations to hold off until the first Service Release, expected in October.

FWIW the Windows 10 upgrade tool does provide a rollback facility that allows you to go back to your previous operating system any time in he 30 days following the upgrade.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Took an image of my system and did the Windows 10 upgrade Sunday.
Went seamlessly.
No issues so far. everything works as expected.
Noticeably quicker launching apps and general responsiveness.
Like the combination of Windows 8.1 and windows 7
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Hi Pat, Hope you don't mind me asking. But how long did it take to install and how many restarts please? (I appreciate that different machines and setups work at different speeds etc. but just want to get an idea of timings if you can please. :?:
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Not sure exactly as I left it to do its thing. But I'd guess an hour maybe 90 mins.
I think 3 restarts.
One thing worth dong after the upgrade is to use a tool like Produkey http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
which will extract for you the Windows 10 product key. This is helpful if you want or need to do a clean install later.
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Many thanks for that information and tip Pat. I'm sure others will appreciate that info too.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Oh and of course the biggest improvement you can make is add an SSD boot drive.
The price is dropping all the time and the performance is amazing.