Rememberance Service

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Whereaami

Re: Rememberance Service

Post by Whereaami »

Pat-H wrote:My experience of Scouting has always seen the service held on the nearest Sunday.
Not sure how many Leaders could get the morning off work for a mid week service and how many of the schools would fine the parents for an unauthorised absence should they take the morning off school.
I have had Scouts unable to attend on a Sunday due to Football or Rugby team pressures (attend the team game or be dropped)

As it is the service sees a massive attendance of leaders and children on the Sunday.
Isn't it more important to be remembering and encouraging the younger generations to remember than limiting it to the few who can make the exact declared moment of rememberance?
Well of course the 11th November should be a public holiday as it is in France, Belgium, Poland, USA & Canada......
JCB

Post by JCB »

Well of course the 11th November should be a public holiday as it is in France, Belgium, Poland, USA & Canada......
Hear hear, seconded
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Whereaami wrote:
Pat-H wrote:My experience of Scouting has always seen the service held on the nearest Sunday.
Not sure how many Leaders could get the morning off work for a mid week service and how many of the schools would fine the parents for an unauthorised absence should they take the morning off school.
I have had Scouts unable to attend on a Sunday due to Football or Rugby team pressures (attend the team game or be dropped)

As it is the service sees a massive attendance of leaders and children on the Sunday.
Isn't it more important to be remembering and encouraging the younger generations to remember than limiting it to the few who can make the exact declared moment of rememberance?
I don't think we really place the same importance on those that died. Even today we're still too keen as a country to go and fight or bomb anyone we can.
We have significant muscle in financial restrictions we could use but that would result in loss of profit. Far better to sell arms to both sides if we can.
The fact is Britain has and still does trade and encourage war like behaviour. A national holiday on the 11th would be just a step too far I suspect.
JCB

Post by JCB »

Some of us are still deeply respectful of Remembrance Day, and think of not only those that gave their lives, but those that put themselves in the position whereby loss of life was possible. The sadness of war is incalculable and should never be forgotten. As Wilfred Owen said, 'Dulce et decorum est.....'
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

As Wilfred Owen said, 'Dulce et decorum est.....'
Whilst I agree that we should respect those who lost their life (without glorying war), you've chosen a poor example to illustrate this.

Wilfred Owen was taking an utterly anti-war stance with this poem. The last two lines are sarcastic.

http://www.gradesaver.com/wilfred-owen- ... ecorum-est

FB
JCB

Post by JCB »

Wilfred Owen was taking an utterly anti-war stance with this poem. The last two lines are sarcastic.
I understand perfectly - Wilfred Owen was commenting on the futility of war and the sad loss it causes.
IGS

Post by IGS »

JCB wrote:Some of us are still deeply respectful of Remembrance Day, and think of not only those that gave their lives, but those that put themselves in the position whereby loss of life was possible. The sadness of war is incalculable and should never be forgotten. As Wilfred Owen said, 'Dulce et decorum est.....'
He called it The Old Lie.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

A good turnout at the War Memorial this morning for the 2 minutes silence.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Comment removed as being irrelevant to the topic.

Team Admin.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I appreciate that with cuts to police budgets then there will not be enough police to cover two simultaneous road closures in Ware and Hertford, but why does Hertford always seem to get the preferential treatment with a commemoration at 11:00 and Ware is 'relegated' to the afternoon? Could it not alternate?
Last edited by Andrew on Thu 12 Nov 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.