Can anyone name this shop

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Barzey

Can anyone name this shop

Post by Barzey »

My Wife & her Brother were talking about a shop that used to be in Fanhams Road nearly on the corner of Tower Road opposite or near Musley School. But they cannot remember the name from so long ago. Can anyone assist on this please :?:
IGS

Re: Can anyone name this shop

Post by IGS »

Barzey wrote:My Wife & her Brother were talking about a shop that used to be in Fanhams Road nearly on the corner of Tower Road opposite or near Musley School. But they cannot remember the name from so long ago. Can anyone assist on this please :?:
Was it the aquarium which is now in Kingshill?
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Yes, Aquavarium used to be there until thye moved to Kingshill (where Homerama used to be).
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. However she says she remembers when it was the Aquarium place but it was far before then.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Can't remember the name but I think it was a grocery store before the aquarium shop.
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Many thanks, she says that's the one. Can anyone come up with the name though to assist with a bit of reminiscence please?
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Spar Convenience Stores
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

Would it have been 'Spar' 60 yrs ago though Frankie? (Sorry I haven't put a rough time period in before folks)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I can't say for 60 years ago, but it was a SPAR already when I was a litle boy fifty years ago. Could have been an indepedent store before that, but could well have been a SPAR too.
FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPER »

I remember the shop when it was a Spar shop. Prior to that I believe it was A.E.Lockyer General Stores. I remember the shop because I nearly died there! When I was a carpet fitter I had to fit a foam back carpet in the upstairs living accommodation. As I was cutting the carpet with my Stanley knife the blade cut through an electrical wire that the owner had pushed between the skirting board and the floorboards to run an extention point. I did jump up in the air but because of the foam back carpet insolating it and blowing the fuses I am still alive to laugh about it. I think it was in the early 70's. I still have the melted Stanley blade somewhere in the garage. Oh for the good old days before Health & Saftey