Food hygiene ratings

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
WarePerson

Food hygiene ratings

Post by WarePerson »

I was looking at the Food Standards Agency Website, and was shocked to find some of our eateries have only scores 1 star (out of 5) for their food hygiene. This stands for "Major Improvements Necessary" I would have thought 4 star (Good) would have been the minimum requirement. Well done to all those with a 5 star rating (Very Good) In not going to name any businesses, but see for yourself in the link below.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-sea ... %5E/1/1/10
John_D

Re: Food hygiene ratings

Post by John_D »

The dates of inspection of some of those are more than 2 years ago, and even those that were inspected this year were more than 6 months ago. I would have thought that any premises getting an unsatisfactory result should have been re-inspected within a month or two and given a new rating, obviously not . :evil: Sadly with published inspection results so out of date, no real indication of current conditions can not be reliably established. :(
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Agreed.

What alternative do you suggest?
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

I had a look at the Food Standards Agency website too. I was surprised to see that establishments can apply to be reassessed but only if they can show they have made the improvements recommended. So if they aren't bothered, it seems they don't have to do anything. I would expect that any establishments that are truly appalling would be closed down - but back in the distant past when I worked in Catering, we would get unannounced visit by Health Inspectors. They would give the owner a list of recommendation/requirements and a time limit to put these into place for the more serious. Then they would come back to check that the work had been done - or else. We once had a filter that was deemed to have not been cleaned properly and were told that they would be back in a week to look at it - they did and it was then passed OK. It would be good to get back to these standards but I guess, like everything else, financial restrictions have lead to cutbacks in the Inspectors and they now rely on public pressure via this star rating system to put pressure on the businesses. Doesn't seem to be working that well though does it?
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

If i had my way it would be 6 monthly inspections and make each establishment display the rating certificate in the front window.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The government has made massive cuts to budgets for both food and trading standards inspectors since 2010. A further 40% of trading standards inspectors will lose their jobs by 2015. In addition the government has deregulated food safety, ending inspections altogether for 'low risk' businesses. They describe this as 'common sense' regulation. i define it as blatant stupid and short sighted cuts which will kill people over the long run. All of this probably goes to explain why inspections seem out of date. It is very worrying that so many outlets in Ware have such poor hygiene ratings.