Wine Lodge

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
Ware iLive

Re: Wine Lodge

Post by Ware iLive »

Oh dear.... :shock:

I had high hopes for this place! but its CLOSED on SUNDAYS and MONDAYS? fair enough... its a start and see how it goes? but I am not prepared to pay OTT prices for a quite drink and a nibble....

what's the accommodation like? or is that not yet in place? There is a very small bar in Kings Cross (Simmons Bar) they do fantastic cocktails (some served in china tea cups!) and a range of drinks and all sorts. It is like walking in to some ones front room! as the décor is a mix of all decades.... shabby chic! its always packed out and the prices are extremely reasonable (I paid £5 for a cocktail) Oh not forgetting a welcoming and lively friendly atmosphere!
its quirky and I had hoped that our new look wine lodge would be similar? This is what I'd want in Ware. I haven't ventured into The Lodge yet... but clearly I'm not missing much :cry:
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

keep the Rif Raf out interesting comment who excatly are Rif Raf ?
Agree with furtivebertie have seen too many well dressed well off people acting appallingly because they think they can and they tend to be more arrogant
Its one thing having someone on the door to keep disorderly people out but just as important for bar staff to deal with ones inside and stop serving them when they have had too much
Leah1234

Post by Leah1234 »

I was wondering if The Lodge has permission to have all those tables and chairs everywhere at the front and side of the building. They take over most of the space between The Lodge and the building next to it (the chiropodist I think.. correct me if I'm wrong!). I like The Lodge, but I know that quite a few people are annoyed about the noise.
shinybeans

Post by shinybeans »

I wouldn't live in the middle of the High Street if i was bothered about noise....and there has been a pub on that site for years. Of course, ;) staff need to keep a check on the few idiots that spoil it, but you'll get that in any town. I'd rather it was a bar than a takeaway, which it nearly was.
REG

Post by REG »

I am surprised that The Lodge has the right of use at the side, as it means there is little or no walk through. I tried to walk through early Friday evening towards the High Street and with little room and some pretty rude loud fat bloke pushing me to one side. Thus on my return walk I avoided. Also noted it was impossible to get through to market stalls on Tuesday -again I had to walk around. Who actually owns the land there surely its council?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I believe they need planning permission to have chairs and tables outside the building, so the best people to approach if you have concerns are the planning department.
Leah1234

Post by Leah1234 »

It would be interesting to find out who owns the land there. I'm all for businesses doing well, but i went past this evening and it was impossible to get through to the square and the path was full of really loud obnoxious idiots.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

shinybeans wrote:I wouldn't live in the middle of the High Street if i was bothered about noise....and there has been a pub on that site for years. Of course, ;) ......
Except that what is there now is very different from what went before - large numbers of punters outside makes a huge difference to the amount of noise plus quite a few will have moved in after the pub closed and permission was granted for a take away.

So far as I know they don't have permission - since it is public property anyone who puts seats/tables outside should pay rent.
Darrellh

Post by Darrellh »

It is good to see a local business doing well but did have to walk through the obstacle course of tables and people standing around on Saturday afternoon. but what happens if a parent wants to go through with a buggy or even a double buggy? should they be made to go the long way around when this is a public walk through?? I wonder if they have even asked to use this area and if allowed to do so have they pushed the boundaries of it's use!
REG

Post by REG »

I am all for local businesses to do well but have noted more chairs and tables have been purchased (cardboard boxes left by church gates) and spread between Jacobys and The Wine Lodge. Jacobys used to leave a walk way from church but now neither Jacobys or The Wine Lodge is passable for pedestrians let alone a pushchair or wheelchair. Where does one go to put a stop to this?