Boarded up shop in Amwell End

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
VicarageRoader

Boarded up shop in Amwell End

Post by VicarageRoader »

Does anyone know anything about the boarded up shop in Amwell End?

It seems to have been like that since we've lived in Ware (over 13 years).

Surely after this much time the council should be taking control of the property and making sure its refurbed rather than staying as the eyesore it has been for all this time.
IGS

Re: Boarded up shop in Amwell End

Post by IGS »

VicarageRoader wrote:Does anyone know anything about the boarded up shop in Amwell End?

It seems to have been like that since we've lived in Ware (over 13 years).

Surely after this much time the council should be taking control of the property and making sure its refurbed rather than staying as the eyesore it has been for all this time.
I presume you mean the one next door to the Drill Hall. The latest plans were to have a small outlet at the front and accommodation in the back part of it. How far this is proceeding is anyone's guess. The owner is notoriously hard to get hold of.
REG

Post by REG »

The shop is a disgrace and makes a mockery of town planning etc. I personally tried back in 2002 to obtain a full repairing lease on the shop but the guy then was slow at worse just unresponsive. I am sure it has been used residentially without consent. Either way it looks awful.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I couldn't picture so went on Google street view. What was there originally?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Matt40 wrote:I couldn't picture so went on Google street view. What was there originally?
Ware Eye Centre.

Planning permission for a restaurant was refused in both 2009 and 2013.
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Steve wrote:
Matt40 wrote:I couldn't picture so went on Google street view. What was there originally?
Ware Eye Centre.

You would think the council would want something in there rather than leaving it as it is.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I think that used to be Whybrew and Case the electrical retailers?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mel wrote:I think that used to be Whybrew and Case the electrical retailers?
That's it! I thought it was an electrical shop at one point. I was racking my brain trying to remember. Thank you :-)
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Steve wrote:
Ware Eye Centre.

And my thought is 'why'? So a boarded up depressing part of the high street is a better option? I am clearly missing a part of this interesting story :D
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Town planners can't make shops into what the feel the town needs to thrive but they can refuse applications they feel don't help the town.
Why have planners at all if they should have no plan or powers? and then see the high street full of fast food outlets.

Normally the commercial need for a property to earn for it's owner is enough to ensure they will find a use that meets planning approval and is therefore in line with the towns plan.

I believe empty shops only have a limited grace period for rates so a long standing empty shop must be costing the owner.

I imagine the owner is wealthy enough not to care about the loss of income or possibly the impact on the street and town.