Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

News and views on businesses and commerce in Ware.
Matt40

Re: Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

Post by Matt40 »

This has got me thinking (no adverse comments please!). If the westmill site is busier now when it's open (As common sense would dictate) then how is the council saving money?

They have the same numbers of workers needing to generate the same level of output but in 5 days instead of 7. This is based on the assumption that the 'customers' wait until they are open rather than disposal of other means. Surely this isnt going to happen without additional wages and staff retention problems? I know if my boss said to me he wanted another 2 days in the 5 I work then I'd think he was 'bananas'!! I am also assuming that the overheads of that place remain the same at 5 or 7 days, there's hardly any lighting, heating, security needed I would have thought.
Pat-H

Re: Westmill Recycling and Refuse Centre

Post by Pat-H »

I'm not sure how they are saving. I can't imagine the staff are now on reduced hours?
As you say the cost of the "site" must be similar.
I guess less lorries are needed to shift the waste away.
Don't forget they aren't dealing with more waste in the 5 days. Cars queue so only so much stuff can be dumped in a day.
I presume they must have looked and discovered that all sites had some periods of less than 100% activity and that's a "waste"
So the changes mean the sites run at 100% more of the time.
The staff can't do more than they do in a day. Its not a production line...