Hidden Users

Contributions, adding your business or organisation, suggestions and feedback.
IGS

Hidden Users

Post by IGS »

In the Board view at the bottom you can see the user names and number of guests who are using the forum. It also shows the number of Hidden Users: What or who are Hidden Users and is it something we should be worried about?
Mel

Re: Hidden Users

Post by Mel »

I've noticed that and I assumed it was those people who could not be bothered to log on? Or people who are not actually members?
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I think they are registered users who have ticked the box in their profile to say "hide my online status" - i.e. they don't want to be listed as being currently online. If you're interested, you can find the option in the User Control Panel in the Board Preferences tab - it's an option within the Edit Global Settings section.
patthefatcat

Post by patthefatcat »

what have they got to hide? or perhaps they are being naughty logging in while they are meant to be working.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I notice one of the registered users is goodelfeedfetcher...
IGS

Post by IGS »

Mel wrote:I've noticed that and I assumed it was those people who could not be bothered to log on? Or people who are not actually members?
They would come up as Guests.
There was a Hidden user on last night which prompted me to ask. By the time I had posted they had disappeared.
IGS

Post by IGS »

RichardH wrote:I think they are registered users who have ticked the box in their profile to say "hide my online status" - i.e. they don't want to be listed as being currently online. If you're interested, you can find the option in the User Control Panel in the Board Preferences tab - it's an option within the Edit Global Settings section.
Ah, that'll be Craig checking up on who is using the forum in the early hours then. ;)
IGS

Post by IGS »

Pat-H wrote:I notice one of the registered users is goodelfeedfetcher...
I think you mean google. Another is Bing [Bot]. What do they do?
Joost

Post by Joost »

IGS wrote:
Pat-H wrote:I notice one of the registered users is goodelfeedfetcher...
I think you mean google. Another is Bing [Bot]. What do they do?
The bots are reading the pages of the site and indexing them so when you go to search through Google or Bing the content of Ware Online is available in their databases to be searched.

The FeedFetcher is how Google gets RSS or Atom feeds, GoogleBot is the bot that looks and indexes for search content.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Cheers RichardH and Joost. Still not exactly sure what they are but that's just me. :?