Evening car parking

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Martin

Evening car parking

Post by Martin »

I see that EHC in their wisdom have decided it would be a good thing to charge for car-parking in the town car-parks in the evening.
That should help trade.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/H ... 104035.htm

The Masked Woler

Re: Evening car parking

Post by The Masked Woler »

We are told this will affect trade but, if you are happy to spend £150 on a meal (presumably plus tip), are people really going to be put off by £1 to park?

Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

150 quid?? I wish....

RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Must admit I'm not too upset by this - they're giving 30 minutes free which should be enough time if you're dropping by to collect a takeaway or whatever.

I would bet that a lot of the mess and unpleasantness in the Hertford multistorey is caused during the evenings, so if it helps fund the cleaning bill then that's all to the good. If we go out it tends to be a car full, so 25p each doesn't seem too bad.

FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

We are told this will affect trade but, if you are happy to spend £150 on a meal (presumably plus tip), are people really going to be put off by £1 to park?
But, but but...
I can park on the High Street for free in the evenings after 6:30 pm, can't I? :roll:

FB

Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

They'll have double yellows down before long...........

The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Whereaami wrote:They'll have double yellows down before long...........
Because people will really pay attention to them.

Try visiting Fred's of an evening and see the line of cars parked right under the "at any time" sign - the car park is free then but they still don't want to walk 50 yards.

IGS

Post by IGS »

The Masked Woler wrote:We are told this will affect trade but, if you are happy to spend £150 on a meal (presumably plus tip), are people really going to be put off by £1 to park?
There are many clubs and societies who use the facilities (Drill Hall, Arts Centre etc) who would probably find it difficult to continue because of such charges. Is it a conspiracy by EHDC to minimise the usage of such premises and therefore find it easier to sell to the highest bidder?

Simes

Post by Simes »

I can park on the High Street for free in the evenings after 6:30 pm, can't I?
Or in Tesco's!

The Mercury article states that the council will spend £30,000 on consultation, new signs and re-programming the machines. I'm sure they know what they're doing. ;)

KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Don't need to spend any money on consultation to know that people want pay on exit car parks and am sure the machines don't cost £30k so there is a saving straightaway. :lol: