Evening car parking

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
JudieT

Re: Evening car parking

Post by JudieT »

Yes Witney and Fareham in the last year, but others I have forgotten (I do travel around quite a bit), generally in my experience those towns that don't charge for parking, or allow 1 or 2 hours free are much more successful and do have a more vibrant atmosphere with lots of people walking around the shops.
I resorted to Google to find others and there does seem to be a link between the economic success of a town and the cost of car parking.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

JudieT wrote:Yes Witney and Fareham in the last year, but others I have forgotten (I do travel around quite a bit), generally in my experience those towns that don't charge for parking, or allow 1 or 2 hours free are much more successful and do have a more vibrant atmosphere with lots of people walking around the shops.
I resorted to Google to find others and there does seem to be a link between the economic success of a town and the cost of car parking.
Fair enough, but doesn't Ware have this? 30 mins on street is free and so is Tesco for 2 hours.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Apart from the 'is it free for 30 mins or not' discussion, the most fascinating element of the Link article is the way in which it dextrously puts pressure on the Town Councils to provide free parking

'Jackson Square car park in Bishops Stortford already offers up to 2 hours' fre parking, paid for by the Council, if shoppers spend £5 or more at Sainsbury's...... Buntingford Town Council subsidises parking for up to three hours...Sawbridgeworth Town Council subsidises the first hour in Bell Street.

So, do you want this out of your left pocket, or out of your right pocket ?
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

Scottman wrote:Apart from the 'is it free for 30 mins or not' discussion, the most fascinating element of the Link article is the way in which it dextrously puts pressure on the Town Councils to provide free parking

'Jackson Square car park in Bishops Stortford already offers up to 2 hours' fre parking, paid for by the Council, if shoppers spend £5 or more at Sainsbury's...... Buntingford Town Council subsidises parking for up to three hours...Sawbridgeworth Town Council subsidises the first hour in Bell Street.

So, do you want this out of your left pocket, or out of your right pocket ?
This may appear a little mischievous but if, say, you lived in one the more expensive houses on the South Side but were having a cash flow problem and felt that car parking charges were beyond your reach then it is likely to be the case that the best place to park would be on your own drive and use shank's pony? :twisted:
Alec

Post by Alec »

Well, amazingly, the council have decided to continue free evening parking and to implement the 30 mins free parking during the day.
As part of its ambition to increase the vibrancy of the district's town centres, 30 minutes' free parking will be introduced in most car parks, adding to the free bays on street and increasing availability and convenience. Motorists needing to park for more than half an hour will receive more parking time for the same price. The cost of the giveaway will be met from council contingency funds.

In addition to the introduction of free parking, the Executive agreed, after consultation, to halt the proposed extension of the flat rate £1 charge beyond 6.30pm.

The changes are designed to last for two years, during which time the council will be exploring options to replace the current pay and display machines, which are nearing the end of their working life. An interim review is scheduled for June 2015.
Makes you wonder what will be in store in 2 years' time, but an excellent result in my view for the time being.
craig

Post by craig »

This is great news for the town.
I really thought the Council would ignore the businesses and residents and do it their way.
Nice to hear the Distrcit Councillors doing the right thing - a good application of common sense.
FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPER »

I have noticed recently that the Kibes Lane car park is very often nearly full during the day. If this is the case hopefully those that park there are out and about in the High St. This can only be good for Ware, and help the traders.It seems to me that the council's introduction of a free half hour tariff in the car park has been a good idea. I hope they do not ruin it by later introducing their other idea of charging in the evening.
onmyplanet

Post by onmyplanet »

The other thing I have noticed in Kibes Lane in the many times I have visited recently is the increased/continuous prowling of the parking 'officers 'and more cars with tickets on. If people are taking liberties with the free time then fair enough as it's not in the interests of the traders for people to be hogging spaces but if they are getting too ticket-happy with people that are over-staying fractionally because they've been held up (let's face it most of us have probably underestimated the queue time in the bank/post office/Tescos at least once) it will be counter productive.

It may of course be just be mere chance/my paranoia that they are always loitering around when I visit and aren't really there all the time!! Overall the free time is a good thing and hopefully bringing back trade to Ware.