20MPH restrictions - Ware

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
evans

20MPH restrictions - Ware

Post by evans »

Hello

I was driving around Bengeo last night and I noticed that every street had 20mph markings on the road surface. There is no enforcement in place but regardless I wonder what effect this has on the behaviour of drivers.

Wouldn't it be great if Herts council did the same thing here in residential Ware.

http://www.molewood.org.uk/news/west-bengeo-20mph-plan/

Certain roads need this, especially roads near schools. ie Kingsway. but other roads too ie High Oak, Musley etc.

What can we do as a community to influence the council to do the same.

Regards,
evans
Pat-H

Re: 20MPH restrictions - Ware

Post by Pat-H »

Lots of places do this now. Stoke Newington is completely 20MPH everywhere even the main roads.

The effect seems to be that people stick to 30MPH or under. Which is better than people doing 36 in a 30 zone.

Recent changes to the law allow restrictions below 30MPH without supplementary reminders like speed bumps etc.

A good idea in my book.
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

I'd love speed bumps in our street mainly because it would slow the idiots down. There are cars parked both sides and in my opinion its only a matter of time before a child is knocked down and killed, especially with having a school just around the corner. The other benefit would be that it would put people off using it as a cut through. I'm in favour of residents parking as well, but thats another matter.
evans

Post by evans »

I am not a fan of speed humps to be honest. The sound of cars slowing down and speeding up inbetween them would drive me crazy.

Do you know the details on the law which allows restrictions before 30MPH withouth speed bumps? I would like to look into this.

The last time I contacted the council they told me it would cost £145k to implement calming on my road!

Snippet:
I have checked our collision records, and for the last five years (the latest data I can assess) no personal injury collisions have been recorded for the entire length of your street. Furthermore, a speed survey initiated in 2014 as part of the County Councillor¿s Highway Locality Budget recorded average speeds below the posted 30mph speed limit. I do recognise that some drivers will exceed the speed limit, and that average speeds would vary and most likely on average be above 30mph in some parts of your road but there is no evidence to suggest that engineering measures are required to manage speeds at this location. To provide further context, a scheme to provide speed humps along your street would cost in the region of £145,000, so clearly a non-starter considering our funds will be directed to locations where a trend and relevant severity of collisions have already occurred.
Snippet end:

£145k sounds a bit excessive if you ask me. In fact it sounds like bullcrap!

Regards,
Evan
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

States:
Local councils can set their own speed limits in certain areas, and these must be clearly signed.

For example:
20 mph zone in a built-up area near a school
50 mph (rather than 60 mph) limit on a stretch of road with sharp bends

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... eed-limits

Has more info.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1-2013.pdf

Has it in detail. look from page 20 onwards. Basically the 20 roundels on the road are enough to enforce the limit.
evans

Post by evans »

This is what I don't get.

Kingsway is on a road very close to a school but the speed limit is still 30mph. Surely there should be a strong case for 20mph here.

Evan
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

evans wrote:This is what I don't get.

Kingsway is on a road very close to a school but the speed limit is still 30mph. Surely there should be a strong case for 20mph here.

Evan
Very few accidents none serious that I can recall. A level crossing that has a crossing lady at school times.
Its also a wide road.

I don't think a 20MPH limit would be followed and they won't lower a limit if drivers won't generally obey it.
evans

Post by evans »

hmm a wide road... we can stop that. Lets all park our cars on the road like they do on High Oak. that will slow the buggers down. :D