20MPH restrictions - Ware - 20splenty

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
evans

20MPH restrictions - Ware - 20splenty

Post by evans »

Dear Ware Friends,

I just signed the petition "Petition for 20 mph default speed limit in Ware, Hertfordshire on all residential roads." and wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... tial-roads

Many thanks
Evan
VicarageRoader

Re: 20MPH restrictions - Ware - 20splenty

Post by VicarageRoader »

Signed up :D
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Can you say what you mean by 'all residential roads' please?
Alec

Post by Alec »

Not signed up :D
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

Don't wish to appear a killjoy, but how exactly would this speed restriction be enforced ?
evans

Post by evans »

Hi

First off, I am not an expert at the 20 is plenty campaign as I have just joined. I have also never campaigned for anything before in my life. I do however think this is a good cause.
Can you say what you mean by 'all residential roads' please?
We quite simply campaign for 20mph to become the default speed limit on residential and urban streets. This can be done on most streets without the need for any physical calming and we accept that on some streets it may be appropriate to have a higher limit based on the road, vulnerable road users provision, etc. But any limit above 20mph should be a considered decision based on local circumstances.
Don't wish to appear a killjoy, but how exactly would this speed restriction be enforced ?
Rather than copy and paste directly from the website, this is the line on police enforcement
http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/police_enforcement.htm

Obviously this approach won't work with all road users and a large % will just ignore the limit.

However studies have show that average and faster road speeds decrease eg in Portsmouth by 6-7mph slower on perviously 25mph+ roads.

Cheers
Evan
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I have always believed enforcement is the issue with these restrictions but it can be achieved and the majority of drivers may not reduce to 20 but would drive at a lower speed than they used to. Here in NZ, I keep doing comparisons as its a way of seeing other ideas which made of use, there are more school buses than the UK and a stationary school bus must be passed at just 20 kph and there are also restrictions outside schools usually down to 40 kph during the period when school is starting or finishing all urban roads are 50kph which is 31 mph. If you are one kph over the speed limit in these restrictions you will get a ticket and I have so know its enforced.
The UK roads are narrower and theres a higher volume of traffic too but NZ still has its own issues.
evans

Post by evans »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everyone that has signed the pertition so far. We still need alot more people to sign up but this is just the start.

There is a short video on our website which explains more about the 20 is plenty campaign.

http://www.20splentyforware.moonfruit.com

Cheers
Evan
grk

Post by grk »

Ware Town Council are to discuss 20mph speed limits at their next Planning Committee meeting at The Priory on Monday 6th June at 7.30pm. All welcome.