101 New Homes for Crane Mead

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Ware?
Steve

101 New Homes for Crane Mead

Post by Steve »

"Demolition of the existing building and erection of a mixed use development comprising 101 residential (C3) apartments and employment (B1) space, along with associated highway and landscape works."

Planning ref.3/14/1408/FP
RCR1

Re: 101 New Homes for Crane Mead

Post by RCR1 »

Yes, I was really sorry to see this coming round again. Will they really just tell the businesses to clear out with loss of employment & service to local people? As I may have written on an earlier thread about this, DJ car repairs is for me the most trustworthy car repair business in Ware and surrounds. Family run with pleasant people, they dont charge for what isnt necessary. Speaking to the owner some months ago he was saying how it could be the end of the road if they have to move as finding an appropiate location for their business at a similar cost p.a. isnt easy. They have looked. The developers seem of the view that preliminary talks with EHDC went well & that might just be true or they may not have put the application in
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I agree, dj car repairs are some of the nicest people around. They aren't going to be happy until Ware is full of flats.
Ian

Post by Ian »

If you have a look at the plans, they are proposing to have the ground floor of all the flats as industrial units and they believe this will be 67% of the current size. They also say that 60% of the current industrial area is in use, so although a reduction, there is in theory no loss.

There are a number of concerns still, not least the reduction in parking spaces, but it's not just flats. I believe the garage is talking to the developer to try and get some more detail on the industrial using and parking, but a lot will depend on the detail.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I just looked at the numbers, '101 residential apartments' seems a lot for Ware regardless of percentages. Doesn't Ware have enough flats especially with more being built in crib street at astute electronics and then probably even more if tesco ever decides to throw in the towel?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Matt40 wrote:I just looked at the numbers, '101 residential apartments' seems a lot for Ware regardless of percentages. Doesn't Ware have enough flats especially with more being built in crib street at astute electronics and then probably even more if tesco ever decides to throw in the towel?
East Herts want to increase the size of Ware by 3,000 houses by 2030 and they intend to do this by building on greenbelt land to the north and east of Ware, so 101 is a small number compared to that and will be removed from that green belt grab.
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

Ian wrote:If you have a look at the plans, they are proposing to have the ground floor of all the flats as industrial units and they believe this will be 67% of the current size. They also say that 60% of the current industrial area is in use, so although a reduction, there is in theory no loss.

There are a number of concerns still, not least the reduction in parking spaces, but it's not just flats. I believe the garage is talking to the developer to try and get some more detail on the industrial using and parking, but a lot will depend on the detail.
For DJ's and similar businesses its not an availability issue, its £/sq.m rent & location. The current area being old is relatively cheap. The planning submission showing availability gave me a good laugh showing how much light industrial area was available as far as north as Stevenage and beyond. Handy when I walk down to pick up my car.
Mel

Post by Mel »

DJ's is not the only garage in town. There are 2 in Star Street.
Mel

Post by Mel »

3 if you include Simon Light, the Mercedes garage.
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Mel wrote:DJ's is not the only garage in town. There are 2 in Star Street.
True, but if you have built up a relationship with them and trust them, it is a pain to then find someone else you trust and have a relationship with. Am not saying the other's arent trust worthy (never used them so cannot comment) but I find trust takes time to build.

I will be gutted to see DJ's go.