Cod Wars

News and views on shopping in the town.
FurtiveBertie

Re: Cod Wars

Post by FurtiveBertie »

Where's the nearest noodles bar? Or even sushi?
Maybe you were being rhetorical, but you really can't beat this place:

http://www.atariya.co.uk/shops/hendon.html

We have a world class sushi restaurant almost on our doorstep (You will need to book!)

FB
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

What a big doorstep you have.

The issue on duplication is whether they generate enough new custom - if you are just spreading the current trade more thinly then it places all at risk. If the existing places were to all lose some of their customers then it could put them all out of business. The margins for survival can be very tight.

I agree people will pay more where they think this is warranted but, at the end, this is a fish & chip shop (and looking at the plans, rather cramped), we shall see. The plan is presumably to cater for an entirely different customer base - if you had the queue that Wright's do on Friday then cooking each fish to order is hardly viable.

I hope they do ok but I also hope they don't put any of our local ones out of business.
MJ_Game

Post by MJ_Game »

bit disappointed seeing their menu I was hoping we might finally get a fish shop interested in sustainability, at least as an option.
pinkiepink31

Post by pinkiepink31 »

MJ_Game wrote:bit disappointed seeing their menu I was hoping we might finally get a fish shop interested in sustainability, at least as an option.
From their menu:
"We only use suppliers who can guarantee the fish we buy is from sustainable well managed stocks, fished using responsible methods with complete traceability."
The Masked Woler

MJ_Game wrote:bit disappointed seeing their menu I was hoping we might finally get a fish shop interested in sustainability, at least as an option.
Wright's have been saying they have been doing this for some time - they publish the source of their fish each week.
Alec

Post by Alec »

The Masked Woler wrote:If you had the queue that Wright's do on Friday then cooking each fish to order is hardly viable..
The fish & chip shop in Southwold manages this by taking orders further up the queue, so they're ready as you reach the front of the queue. Needs a decent throughput, good staffing and space for this to work, mind.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Noodle bar - try King Du in Harlow - we've always eaten in rather than taken away.
The Masked Woler

Alec wrote:
The Masked Woler wrote:If you had the queue that Wright's do on Friday then cooking each fish to order is hardly viable..
The fish & chip shop in Southwold manages this by taking orders further up the queue, so they're ready as you reach the front of the queue. Needs a decent throughput, good staffing and space for this to work, mind.
Do they offer the choice of battered, pan fried and grilled?
Alec

Post by Alec »

The Masked Woler wrote:Do they offer the choice of battered, pan fried and grilled?
Don't think so.

Presume the idea for the Ware shop is that people are prepared to wait a little longer for a premium product (or may be able to order up front for collection later?) Either way, will be interesting to see how it all works out.
Littlejon

Post by Littlejon »

Southwold? That's amateur stuff. Try getting a bag of chips and a scraps and pickled egg bap quickly in Aldeburgh or Dunwich! When I were a boy growing up in Suffolk they only had one shop in Aldeburgh and the queue would be at least 500 deep. The family bought another shop across the road and the queues didn't get any shorter.

If you have a great product, people will travel for it and queue for it. Wrights and Andrews are both decent chippies, and whilst they could never compare to getting served by an ex witches speedway rider with one arm at hot stuff on reynolds road in Ipswich... what possibly could? They're very good.