Tesco Ware?

News and views on shopping in the town.
Andy B

Tesco Ware?

Post by Andy B »

With the many complaints over the years on this forum it seems Tesco it now closing non profitable stores so does Ware come into the mix of 43 stores that are due to close? I do wonder if the Ware store were to close if they would actually be missed?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30712762
Scottman

Re: Tesco Ware?

Post by Scottman »

Easy for you to ask, from 11500 miles away!

Given how busy it always is, I can't imagine it would feature in the list of failing stores. That is, before Asda opens on Watton Road anyway.

However, if the store closed then Ware would lose a large, free car park which does a lot of good to the High Street as a whole. So be careful what you wish for.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Who knows, but I doubt it's included in the current list as the store is used a lot. Yes, Asda will change that and I know others have said Tesco will close but we will have to wait and see. I feel sorry for the employees affected by this, especially those who will lose jobs and those left who will no longer have a pension scheme, perhaps if Tesco had managed the business better that may have been avoided.

As for the car park, it's actually owned by EHDC, not Tesco, so it shouldn't be lost, more likely it will become a pay and display, though of course EHDC may well sell the land off for housing for their long term plan - every little helps I guess!

Having read the article, you never know, Aldi or Lidl may want to take over that store...
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Scottman wrote:Easy for you to ask, from 11500 miles away!

Given how busy it always is, I can't imagine it would feature in the list of failing stores. That is, before Asda opens on Watton Road anyway.

However, if the store closed then Ware would lose a large, free car park which does a lot of good to the High Street as a whole. So be careful what you wish for.
Not to mention Sainsbury opening soon

Ian got in first but the car park is I believe leased from EHDC.

Given the recent reports on the huge amount of land owned by Tesco where they have no intent to build but are simply blocking competition, I would not expect them to sell the Ware site to Lidl or Aldi.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Scottman wrote:Easy for you to ask, from 11500 miles away!

Easy to ask from anywhere Scottman!
My question was based on the comments made on Ware Online nothing more, no wishes from me I used to use Tesco regularly but I'm sure there's a few who would be pleased to see a competitor in their place but then the grass is not always greener!
Alec

Post by Alec »

Think again about the numbers - they're "only" closing 43 stores out of 3,461 in the UK, which is around 1.2% which is actually not very much.

Yes, high impact for the employees who lose their jobs, definitely. For local areas, possibly less so. Reports indicate that a large chunk of the closures will be the smaller convenience stores. I'd certainly be very surprised to see the Ware store impacted.

That said, I've recently seen the Aldi light. Most of their food is fantastic quality, the lack of choice is quite liberating and makes shopping so much quicker. But king is the 40-50% saving that we make every week - completely worth the short trek down to Hoddesdon.

On the rare occasions I pop into Tesco now, I see inefficiency and waste all around - and completely understand why they are losing business.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

+1 to Aldi. Been using them for years and the only bugbear was no credit cards but they accept them no so even better.
Great to have less choice for a change. I don't need to look at 20 types of baked beans and work out the best value "pack" to buy.
Ian

Post by Ian »

My experience of using Aldi is that if you are careful what you select, you can save cash, but the saving of 40-50% is nowhere close to what I see - for example 500g of butter in Aldi is 98p, but Tesco is £1. I also find that some products they sell are excellent, others not worth the money.

I know there are many who knock Tesco, but in my experience it's fine overall, but there's better to be had in Ware by using the local shops. I don't believe this will change any time soon and certainly hope Tesco stay, otherwise we'll have a very large empty shop.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Ian wrote: I know there are many who knock Tesco, but in my experience it's fine overall,
YMMV indeed - we are doing more and more shopping elsewhere as the list of items no longer stocked grows and the quality goes down. You can usually find mouldy items in the fruit and veg and I have shown staff items which were months out of date.

The shops are tatty and don't even come close to the competition - Aldi/Lidl style but without the prices, Tesco need to decide what they are trying to do and where their target niche is.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Ian wrote:My experience of using Aldi is that if you are careful what you select, you can save cash, but the saving of 40-50% is nowhere close to what I see - for example 500g of butter in Aldi is 98p, but Tesco is £1. I also find that some products they sell are excellent, others not worth the money.
Of course, it will vary depending on what you get. But a typical weekly shop has gone from £100-120 at Tesco to £50-65 at Aldi. There are a few items we won't/can't buy there, so you can add another £10-15 to the Aldi bill for top-ups from elsewhere. We've shopped a couple of times at Tesco/Sainsbury after becoming Aldi converts, and I've felt royally mugged by the time I've finished!

Agreed, there are a few product turkeys - I wouldn't buy their frozen pizzas again even if they were only 5p - but far more successes. Fruit & veg is generally fantastic and the chocolate is divine.