Asda Opens 14th May

News and views on shopping in the town.
The Masked Woler

Re: Asda Opens 14th May

Post by The Masked Woler »

IGS wrote:
The Masked Woler wrote:Does getting all the drunks in after the pubs close count as an advantage?
Why assume that only drunk people use the place at that time? It isn't true,
Where did I assume that?
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

I chased up Asda re the layby...From the info we have gathered, it appears the lay by won't be going ahead I'm afraid. If you would like to discuss this further or have any questions please feel free to speak with the manager in store. Thanks, Zak.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surprise surprise, not even open yet and braking promises. Wonder how long it will be before we have delivery lorries stacked up on Park Road.
Alec

Post by Alec »

I'm more interested to see if it's a big supermarket just too late to the party.

I had the misfortune to be in Stevenage last Thursday evening, and nipped into their huge Tesco. It was *deserted* - fewer people even than you see in Ware Tesco at a similar time. A very eloquent example of the out-of-favour state of superstores.

Still can't work out if Asda will steal all of Tesco's custom, if it will be a 50/50 split, or be a bit of a damp squib. Also how much new custom it'll bring in.

As for me, I'm still happily down to Aldi in Hoddesdon - nothing beats the speed and ease of shopping there, along with the quality. And that's before I consider the £30-40 we save each week.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

I've never been sure where all the supposedly new customers will come from - we already have ASDAs no more than 20 mins away so the only people likely to use this one are those in Ware/Herford, Sainsbury in Hertford is still pretty quiet when I have been there.

Maybe ASDA have one eye on the massive building programme in the District Plan.

Late evening opening only seems to work for the smaller stores, in the big ones you seem to end up with more staff than customers.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Yes there are lots of other supermarkets not that far away - but only if you have a car. Those without their own transport in Ware (not just me I think!) have had to go to Tesco as the only supermarket in town who are now stocking less and less of what we want. So it means bus rides to Hertford to buy other items and limited by what you can carry. I don't know that I will like ASDA, I've only been in one once when I went with a friend - but I welcome some competition to our rundown and increasingly bad Tesco.
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

Tesco incressed its opening times and im sure given time ASDA will do the same thing most likey first time will be in the run up to Xmas period good to a have a new moden store that offers much more than the ware tesco
Alec

Post by Alec »

Opening times are odd. Ware Tesco is pretty good on these, 06:00-midnight 6 days a week, then 11:00-17:00 Sundays is better than many convenience stores.

Contrast this with Hoddesdon - all those town centre supermarkets next to each other, and yet all open later and close earlier than our little Ware Tesco: Morrisons 08:00-22:00, Sainsbury's 07:00-22:00, Asda 07:00-23:00, Aldi 08:00-21:00. Always amazes me that if I drive back through Hoddesdon around 23:00, there's nowhere to pick up the odd bit of shopping, but there is back in Ware.
Mel

Post by Mel »

what are the opening times, can't see them on the website
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Driving past today I noticed that their opening times are 08:00 to 22:00 Monday to Saturday, Did not see what the Sunday times are, but I suspect 10:00 to 16:00.