ASDA at last but don't forget the local shops.

News and views on shopping in the town.
Pat-H

Re: ASDA at last but don't forget the local shops.

Post by Pat-H »

The Masked Woler wrote:
Pat-H wrote:Its less to do with spiralling rents than to do with the Governments directives to Local councils and politically sympathetic local councils desire to follow those directives.
Locally some of our Scout groups face similar issues.
Previously low rents are being replaced with commercially calculated rents. Representing massive increases of hundreds of percent.
Groups are looking at having to sign leases of many years at these massive levels. They can however apply for a discretionary discount based on how closely they meet the local councils objectives in terms of community delivery. These are awarded annually. What's the betting next year the criteria changes or they just aren't offered.
Potentially this will force groups to just close removing the opportunity for local young people to gain from the life skills Scouting offers.

Much like the NHS and many other services making them fit a commercial model is just a way to close them down. Short sighted or what.
I don't see what your political rant has to do with what I said - spiralling High St rents has nothing to do with the council. Several shops have left recently due to their landlords wanting huge rent increases, others have moved to cheaper positions.
And yes, it has to do with spiralling rents.
Sorry if it came across as a rant. But I care that we may lose local youth groups due to a politics and it was, I felt, related to rent increases in general. I do appreciate that not every one sees the value in Scouting and the Young People it works with and set against saving a bit on their Council tax I'm sure there are plenty that would rather have the cash in their pocket. That's democracy after all.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Pat-Hs post wasn't a rant at all. It was a clear explanation that for political reasons the Tories are forcing Councils to do away with support for social groups of many kinds. That's just recognising the reality of what this government is doing.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Surely the rates charged by the council are relevant although I believe that there is some relief if the property is empty for a period of time?
I agree to some extent with Wolfer that a property being empty makes it easier to change its use but that is not always the case and I doubt leaving a store empty in the High Street would then allow its change to residential although as my wife tells me often I maybe wrong?
jbond

Post by jbond »

BTW. There's a planning application to turn the chip shop in King George Road into 4 dwellings. 3*2bed and 1*1bed. It deserves some objections.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

jbond wrote:BTW. There's a planning application to turn the chip shop in King George Road into 4 dwellings. 3*2bed and 1*1bed. It deserves some objections.
I would assume the "Chippy" has become uneconomical due to lack of custom or maybe the owners wish to retire and there is no benefit to selling the business so what would your objections be Mr Bond and what would you prefer to see happen?
jbond

Post by jbond »

Quite a lot of assumptions in there, Andy! This application seemed to bother the WTC planning committee and they spent quite a long time discussing it. It seems it is popular. 4 dwellings is too many for such a small plot. There's not enough car parking. But mainly it's in a small group of shops that serves quite a large area so there's an issue with change of use. Once it changes from food retail to residential, it's never going to go back.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

jbond wrote:Quite a lot of assumptions in there, Andy! This application seemed to bother the WTC planning committee and they spent quite a long time discussing it. It seems it is popular. 4 dwellings is too many for such a small plot. There's not enough car parking. But mainly it's in a small group of shops that serves quite a large area so there's an issue with change of use. Once it changes from food retail to residential, it's never going to go back.
At least they have discussed it James and by the sounds of it in detail, my assumptions were based on thinking of a reason for selling and change of use although I missed out profit.
jbond

Post by jbond »

The name's Julian, actually! ;) Yup, that old bald git on the telly on Sunday night.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

jbond wrote:The name's Julian, actually! ;) Yup, that old bald git on the telly on Sunday night.
Unfortunately I don't see the "old bald git on telly on Sunday night" as I'm in NZ.
Steve

Post by Steve »