ASDA work started

News and views on shopping in the town.
mb1

Re: ASDA work started

Post by mb1 »

I think that's right Steve, it feels like that they don't understand how to use the space. They seem to be trying to use it like a full sized supermarket, and obviously end up doing it badly.
John_D

Post by John_D »

mb1 wrote:I think that's right Steve, it feels like that they don't understand how to use the space. They seem to be trying to use it like a full sized supermarket, and obviously end up doing it badly.
I'm glad to see that it's not just me that can't get on with the Hoddesdon Asda. :)
Not sure yet about the new Morrisons, car park spaces underneath are very cramped in places (a legacy of the close proximity of the support pillars of the Tower) and my wife will not use the travelator :roll: , don't see them having anything over and above the smaller store in WGC :| (other than being a bit closer to Ware)
shinybeans

Post by shinybeans »

S@d Asda, can we have an Aldi please :)
John_D

Post by John_D »

shinybeans wrote:S@d Asda, can we have an Aldi please :)
Yes please :mrgreen:
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Steve wrote:
Alec wrote:
mb1 wrote:I haven't looked into the new Morrisons there yet, but don;t like the ASDA. It is so tiny and seems only half stocked the couple of times I have been passing in need of milk.
Completely agree - I've dropped in a couple of times, and the product range is rubbish. Feels at odds with every other ASDA I've ever come across.
That's because it's not the standard Asda format. I've never understood why Asda bought out Netto UK as their store sizes were so much smaller than typical Asdas. Apparently they wanted to increase their smaller store portfolio, but I think the size and location of the ex-Netto stores is just a bad fit for them.
ASDA is part of WalMart whose goal is world domination (in grocery terms). In America, they open stores, sell ranges of products at massive losses driving smaller businesses under until they have a monopoly and everyone in the town is forced to buy their groceries there.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Alec wrote:
mb1 wrote:I haven't looked into the new Morrisons there yet, but don;t like the ASDA. It is so tiny and seems only half stocked the couple of times I have been passing in need of milk.
Completely agree - I've dropped in a couple of times, and the product range is rubbish. Feels at odds with every other ASDA I've ever come across.
If the Hoddesdon Asda is so poor how come it stocks items the Ware Tesco doesn't?
John_D

Post by John_D »

Northsider wrote:
Alec wrote:
If the Hoddesdon Asda is so poor how come it stocks items the Ware Tesco doesn't?
Examples?
Alec

Post by Alec »

John_D wrote:
Northsider wrote:If the Hoddesdon Asda is so poor how come it stocks items the Ware Tesco doesn't?
Examples?
Pains au chocolat - a staple for me!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Ware Tesco stocks at least three varieties of those.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Although thinking about it, and in the interest of supporting small traders, the ones from Belgique are much, much nicer.