ASDA work started

News and views on shopping in the town.
mb1

ASDA work started

Post by mb1 »

So after fiddling around on the site for a few weeks the work seems to have started today more seriously. The blue metal fencing along Watton Road is being cut down, along with some trees and wooden site fencing being put up in their place.
Damo5

Re: ASDA work started

Post by Damo5 »

That would explain the large trucks wandering streets they don't belong on :o
Alec

Post by Alec »

Progress at last!

Can't remember, is there a planned opening date?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Sometime in early 2015 I think. That said, I believe there is some suspicion they will do everything necessary to prevent the planning permission lapsing, and then maybe slow down again for a while. Although others on here will know more than me.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Alec wrote:Progress at last!

Can't remember, is there a planned opening date?

Spring 2015 according to that recent report in the Mercury.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

If it's anythinhg like the new Morrisons in Hodd then i'll be happy....
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Mancunian wrote:If it's anythinhg like the new Morrisons in Hodd then i'll be happy....
Agreed, a really pleasent shopping experience. Also the Hodd Asda has things I actually want to buy, unlike our local supermarket!!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I haven't looked into the new Morrisons there yet, but don;t like the ASDA. It is so tiny and seems only half stocked the couple of times I have been passing in need of milk.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:I haven't looked into the new Morrisons there yet, but don;t like the ASDA. It is so tiny and seems only half stocked the couple of times I have been passing in need of milk.
Completely agree - I've dropped in a couple of times, and the product range is rubbish. Feels at odds with every other ASDA I've ever come across.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Alec wrote:
mb1 wrote:I haven't looked into the new Morrisons there yet, but don;t like the ASDA. It is so tiny and seems only half stocked the couple of times I have been passing in need of milk.
Completely agree - I've dropped in a couple of times, and the product range is rubbish. Feels at odds with every other ASDA I've ever come across.
That's because it's not the standard Asda format. I've never understood why Asda bought out Netto UK as their store sizes were so much smaller than typical Asdas. Apparently they wanted to increase their smaller store portfolio, but I think the size and location of the ex-Netto stores is just a bad fit for them.