News and views on shopping in the town.
JCB

Re: Waitrose

Post by JCB »

Poundland - now you're talking ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Personally I think any sort of supermarket at Van Hagues will be a disaster for the High Street, much worse than Asda (except for those who live next to it). Nobody will come into Ware after visiting it and a significant number of people who go to Tesco now will switch allegiance and end up not using the High Street.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm not so sure Ian. The ASDA idea was to bring out of town traffic into the edge of the town, then have it leave without ever going near the High Street. This proposal may take some shoppers from Ware, but given Waitrose's upmarket niche I doubt very many, and the competition will do something to force Tesco to brighten up its act. Most people in the town will stay in the town for the shopping they do here, and continue to o the shopping they do elsewhere out of the town. And the traffic damage to Ware will be far less than from the ASDA. although, of course, we are likely to get both, and the combined effect may well be bad for the High Street and for the traffic in town.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

High Streets aren't for shopping anymore Ian. Thy're for coffee, hair, nails, bars & restaurants etc. Off the back of Waitrose, hopefully Ware council will drag themselves into the 21st century and really encourage decent high-end and independent establishments to gentrify the High St.
Ian wrote:Personally I think any sort of supermarket at Van Hagues will be a disaster for the High Street, much worse than Asda (except for those who live next to it). Nobody will come into Ware after visiting it and a significant number of people who go to Tesco now will switch allegiance and end up not using the High Street.
Ian

Post by Ian »

New Boy wrote:High Streets aren't for shopping anymore Ian. Thy're for coffee, hair, nails, bars & restaurants etc. Off the back of Waitrose, hopefully Ware council will drag themselves into the 21st century and really encourage decent high-end and independent establishments to gentrify the High St.
Right, I'll tell myself that next time I go shopping there then.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

New Boy wrote: hopefully Ware council will drag themselves into the 21st century and really encourage decent high-end and independent establishments to gentrify the High St.
and how exactly are WTC going to do that - given they have no control over parking, council tax, rents or anything else in the High St?
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

At least Poundland will bring people into the High St
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

The Masked Woler wrote:At least Poundland will bring people into the High St
Get ready to put on your tin hat! :lol:
trev

Post by trev »

Ian wrote:Personally I think any sort of supermarket at Van Hagues will be a disaster for the High Street, much worse than Asda (except for those who live next to it). Nobody will come into Ware after visiting it and a significant number of people who go to Tesco now will switch allegiance and end up not using the High Street.

A supermarket at Van Hages will have less impact than the ASDA in Watton road. The out of town location is much better from many viewpoints - traffic, competition to name a few. Van hages have always been the most up market garden centre in the south of England - their prices prove that. To have an equally up market store adjacent seems to make perfect sense to me.

If you want up market and over-priced goods, go to Great Amwell. Those who currently frequent Tesco will continue to do so. It's just another example of the sadly divided community of Ware.
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

It's just another example of the sadly divided community of Ware.
I don't understand.