Waitrose

News and views on shopping in the town.
Steve

Re: Waitrose

Post by Steve »

The Masked Woler wrote:The Green Belt issue is bizarre given EHDC are planning to build on vast areas of green fields to the north of the town and this isn't even green but a current retail area.
The area to the North of Ware will be removed from the Green Belt in the new Local Plan, thereby enabling developers to build on the land. It is also adjacent to and contiguous with existing developments. This is in contrast to the Great Amwell site, which will remain Green Belt and out-of-town.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That doesn't alter the fact that the Van Hages site is already built on, and on the edge of a properly built up area; whereas the farmland to the north of Ware is greenfield with very little building on it at all. The two ideas put side by side are perverse. I don't necessarily support the Waitrose idea, but the reasons for allowingthe one and refusing the other make no sense whatsoever except in the minds of East Herts councillors who have always dumped on Ware to the maximum extent possible. They are planning more extra homes for Ware thn will be added to Stevenage under current proposals there - it is laughable.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Steve wrote:The area to the North of Ware will be removed from the Green Belt in the new Local Plan, thereby enabling developers to build on the land.
That remains to be seen. The Government guidelines at http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... IBRO9pUZtA state quite clearly that "unmet housing need (including for traveller sites) is unlikely to outweigh the harm to the Green Belt and other harm to constitute the 'very special circumstances' justifying inappropriate development on a site within the Green Belt" so the EHDC plans are directly contrary to the guidelines.

I'm sure that if the plans are announced to build on the greenbelt in this way, they will be challenged. Personally, I think an anti-development stance by any of the other parties would be very popular.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Looking at the Merc there seems to be an assumption, including among the Hertford Town Council, that the BG redevelopment will go ahead even though no application has yet been made.
This is odd given that, at the presentation, almost all I saw were totally against it.
Since they seem to have decided already without seeing plans should they not recuse themselves from voting?
Damo5

Post by Damo5 »

New Boy wrote:Another ridiculous planning decision for Ware. They seem to have a real anti-Waitrose agenda. In a free-market economy, why seek to protect Tesco in Ware. It's dire and doesn't deserve protection. And more than likely will morph into a Tesco Metro at some stage anyway.
I am pretty sure this is not about protecting Tesco in Ware or being anti-Waitrose as such, rather it is about protecting Hertford and being very pro-Waitrose just as long as it is in Hertford.

With regard to the Green Belt grounds for refusal, I am willing to bet that if they wanted to build houses on the VH site (which mercifully they don't), the planners would delcare it Brownfield and ideal to build on.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm sure Damo5 is right. I was intrigued to see the Hertford councillor who led opposition to planning permission condmned the proposed move as being 'all about making money.'

I wonder what else he thinks Waitrose is for?
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

Having seen the piece in the Mercury I saw a notice in the garden centre foyer on Saturday saying (perhaps unsurprisingly) that there is to be another display of the planned shop mk II in the near future. I'm not sure how long the notice has been up but it's tucked to the right of the automatic doors and is easy to overlook unless you look for it.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

The fact that:-

a) They are applying again and
b) They seem very confident this time.

Suggests that there have been discussions with the planning dept, - Premier Inns springs to mind though.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

As does Asda.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

What was that fee that could be paid to councils by companies for use in the community?