Waitrose

News and views on shopping in the town.
The Masked Woler

Re: Waitrose

Post by The Masked Woler »

Scouter wrote:
It's just another example of the sadly divided community of Ware.
I don't understand.
It's divided between those who understand trev's post and the rest of us ;)
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

In simple terms, Waitrose is a very expensive upmarket supermarket and not everyone can afford to shop there and the rest of us will continue to shop in Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Aldi, etc etc. ;)
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Waitrose should only be allowed at van hage if they have their extended wine ranges....
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Given the 'Waitrose effect' increases house prices by 25%, you're going to have a lot more to spend in Aldi!
Mancunian wrote:In simple terms, Waitrose is a very expensive upmarket supermarket and not everyone can afford to shop there and the rest of us will continue to shop in Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Aldi, etc etc. ;)
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

But will the EH Planners allow a 40,000 sqft out of town store? That's a big shop, I thought these were frowned on nowadays.
Or will Great Amwell now be called a town for planning purposes?! ;)
Littlejon

Post by Littlejon »

Mancunian wrote:In simple terms, Waitrose is a very expensive upmarket supermarket and not everyone can afford to shop there and the rest of us will continue to shop in Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Aldi, etc etc. ;)
no it's not - they price match all grocery items directly with Tesco!
Speculator

Post by Speculator »

Littlejon wrote:
no it's not - they price match all grocery items directly with Tesco!

No they don't and only on branded items Excluding Promotions.

So if a Branded item @ Tesco is on promotion at half price, Waitrose will not price match! A bit pointless really.

http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitros ... w0nCCFFCUk
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

New Boy wrote:Given the 'Waitrose effect' increases house prices by 25%, you're going to have a lot more to spend in Aldi!
i dont think the 25% thing will happen t be honest, however thinking i've never actually bought anything in Aldi, just the other main 4 supermarkets, there's one up camden near work so will check out!
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I don't believe waitrose will have noticeable effect on house prices. I'd like to see where that came from?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Matt40 wrote:I don't believe waitrose will have noticeable effect on house prices. I'd like to see where that came from?
It's in The Daily Mail, so it must be true ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... vills.html