Ware to lose the nearest 24hr supermarket

News and views on shopping in the town.
JCB

Re: Ware to lose the nearest 24hr supermarket

Post by JCB »

'Downmarket types' how terribly stereotypical you are being. There is certainly a place in the market for Aldi and Lidl and others of a similar ilk - it is short-sighted not to recognise what these supermarkets can add. Some of their products can compete on an even level with even the so-called 'high end' retailers at just a fraction of the price. Some of their products are also hopeless failures, but it doesn't cost a lot to try the products out. As to Hertford Tesco shutting for 6 hours overnight, is it really such a problem? Maybe people will have to relearn planning and buy in advance - I understand that at one time all shops actually shut all day on a Sunday and had half day closing once a week - how did people cope?!
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

JCB wrote:'Downmarket types' how terribly stereotypical you are being. There is certainly a place in the market for Aldi and Lidl and others of a similar ilk - it is short-sighted not to recognise what these supermarkets can add. Some of their products can compete on an even level with even the so-called 'high end' retailers at just a fraction of the price. Some of their products are also hopeless failures, but it doesn't cost a lot to try the products out. As to Hertford Tesco shutting for 6 hours overnight, is it really such a problem? Maybe people will have to relearn planning and buy in advance - I understand that at one time all shops actually shut all day on a Sunday and had half day closing once a week - how did people cope?!
I love Aldi's products, just a shame i have to go to Hoddesdon or Hatfield.

I would love Ware to get one, The John Gilpin Site would be ideal.............
JCB

Post by JCB »

I had the John Gilpin site earmarked for a Wetherspoons :lol:

On a serious note, I do think snobbishness will prevail in protest against a 'lower class supermarket' - Waitrose is acceptable but not an Aldi, despite the benefits it may bring to the community. I certainly know of a lot of people who would welcome such an addition.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I had the John Gilpin site earmarked for a Wetherspoons :lol:

On a serious note, I do think snobbishness will prevail in protest against a 'lower class supermarket' - Waitrose is acceptable but not an Aldi, despite the benefits it may bring to the community. I certainly know of a lot of people who would welcome such an addition.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

JCB wrote:I had the John Gilpin site earmarked for a Wetherspoons :lol:

More money in housing alas, so yet more "apartments" with inadequate parking etc which no one local could ever afford to buy.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

JCB - downmarket in the sense that they pile it high and sell it cheap with no frills at all. They don;t do deliveries so people have to go to them if they want to shop there. There was no value judgement involved, that was your own prejudices surfacing.
Steve

Post by Steve »

mb1 wrote:JCB - downmarket in the sense that they pile it high and sell it cheap with no frills at all. They don;t do deliveries so people have to go to them if they want to shop there. There was no value judgement involved, that was your own prejudices surfacing.
A badly chosen word IMHO.

I happily shop in both Waitrose and Aldi.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

JCB wrote: I understand that at one time all shops actually shut all day on a Sunday and had half day closing once a week - how did people cope?!
Well in those days both parents didn't need to work to make ends meet. Rent or even a mortgage was an affordable element in the weekly budget.