Returning to Ware

News and views on shopping in the town.
Mel

Re: Returning to Ware

Post by Mel »

And don't forget barbers we've got plenty of those now although the one in Church Street has now closed but the new one is in East Street!
trev

Post by trev »

Watton Stores is now Ware Food Centre since Arun Patel retired and the shop was taken over by a Turkish man. However, he is now in the process of splitting it into two. The Food Centre is now much smaller and next door is to be a fish and chip shop, also selling burgers, kebabs, etc., due to open in August.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

VicarageRoader wrote:
craig wrote: There are traffic problems outside Sainsbury. Despite the planning condition stating that deliveries should take place outside of rush hour, the road is regularly blocked at 8.00 in the morning by delivery trucks. Apparently, traffic enforcement for deliveries is non-enforceable - so the public were possibly hoodwinked by that clause in the application.
I'm sure Andy will be massively shocked by this.
I'm stunned!
That you fell for it!! ;)

The Watton Road store was good a nice guy but another chippy? Are West's still going in East Street they were always the best.
Vincent's the barbers in New Road was always good how are they dealing with the new competition?
Baldock Street used to be pretty quiet I heard The Star Chinese closed and as Craig said the craft shop how about Make Music?
I'm looking forward to seeing all of this, here in NZ there is a huge coffee culture and I'm addicted to a "double shot flat white" where's the best place for coffee?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Andy you mean Wright's/Fred's in East Street, that is going strong but we now have 5 (not counting Watton Road) fish and chip shops. Romeo's is still there - just. We have Lou Lou's for coffee, not sure if that was there last time you were here? We've got a Costa as well. The Sea Tree in Star Street do excellent fish and chips.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I should have said Vincent's in New Road rather than Romeo!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Thanks Mel, how did I get Wrights/Freds wrong? A fading memory!
Is The Sea Tree a restaurant or just fish n chips?
It looks like I'll be able to get my coffee fix then.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Well I got Romeo's wrong and I live here! How long has that been gone? The Sea Tree does have a small dining area and does the best fish n chips in town I think. They also do gluten free battered fish but you obviously have to order it. Last time we ordered from there I had fish goujons (5) thinking they'd be on the small side and they were massive.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Westmill Refuse Site has cut it's hours and is invariably jammed to the brim. Temple Indian Restuarant and China Red have closed down although we are even more spoilt for choice on the restuarant front. There's a parking permit scheme in place around collett road/bourne/crib street, the 'chavigator' is no more and has spruced up it's act and fortunately the night club has closed down, not sure what they are doing with this. Also on the up is the chance Waitrose will be coming to Ware. Also the town population continues to grow with the influx of Londoners who commute back into London on still one of the worst lines in the S.E.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Ah the refuse site was going to do all sorts of things before I left with expansion and loading ramps, two entrances but it sounds as though none of that has happened and reducing the hours I would think will achieve nothing.
Does the parking permit scheme work? Who enforces it? There was a similar scheme in Hertford, the name of the road eludes me, and that was enforced by a private company who were crooks to put it bluntly. I had to look it up it was Newland Gardens.
The Navigator was only fitted out just before I left so not that long ago obviously it didn't work out so who brewery is is now?
Talking of breweries how is McMullens doing I went on a couple of tours there was never that keen on the beer but the tours was one of the best, Dennis Rutledge? Made is so.
If Waitrose come in where will they go? Is Ware big enough for three main supermarkets? I'm assuming Sainsbury is a mini market.
Ware has always been populated by Londoners including me although I arrived via Kettering I wonder what the population increase has been in the last five years or so?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Waitrose was slated for sharing the Van Hage site, not sure what the present position is on that? I'm sure someone on here will know.

Sadly the financial situation did for the tip and the message about the new opening hours hasn't got through to some people,