Sainsbury's Local

News and views on shopping in the town.

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Ian » Fri 23 Jan 2015 8:49 pm

Steve wrote:The only valid grounds for objection is if it contravenes local planning policy. It doesn't matter how many people object.


Not so. The Co-Op sign is listed and is covered by *national* legislation. The argument (rejected by EHDC) is that by covering the feature that is protected, no regular checks can be made for the condition of the listing which will result in deterioration of the mosaic and subsequent loss of this feature. This contravenes the legislation.
Ian
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu 21 Nov 2013 10:39 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Steve » Fri 23 Jan 2015 11:57 pm

I was making a general observation, not commenting on this specific case. Obviously local planning policy has to respect national legislation and the NPPF.

FWIW the decision regarding the sign is not without precedent. I know of at least one "historic" sign on a listed building in Hertford that has had the same treatment, so it's questionable as to whether it's "another example of Ware being let down by EHDC".

Ian wrote:
Steve wrote:The only valid grounds for objection is if it contravenes local planning policy. It doesn't matter how many people object.


Not so. The Co-Op sign is listed and is covered by *national* legislation. The argument (rejected by EHDC) is that by covering the feature that is protected, no regular checks can be made for the condition of the listing which will result in deterioration of the mosaic and subsequent loss of this feature. This contravenes the legislation.
User avatar
Steve
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri 08 Nov 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Hertford

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby The Masked Woler » Sat 24 Jan 2015 11:33 pm

That they may have done the same in Hertford has no effect on whether they have let down Ware by this decision.

They have done so before so it is another example.
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Ian » Mon 26 Jan 2015 3:55 pm

Steve wrote:I was making a general observation, not commenting on this specific case. Obviously local planning policy has to respect national legislation and the NPPF.

FWIW the decision regarding the sign is not without precedent. I know of at least one "historic" sign on a listed building in Hertford that has had the same treatment, so it's questionable as to whether it's "another example of Ware being let down by EHDC".


Well, it's my view that the planning system nationally and in East Herts is pretty well broken by local decisions failing to reflect NPPF on many different levels, but as this is Ware forum I don't think we need to go down that road, it will take a great deal of discussion!

Just because similar decisions are made elsewhere doesn't change the fact that it's letting Ware down. FWIW I don't have any doubt that the planning department allow this to happen everywhere and your example backs that up, but that doesn't change the effect it has on Ware.
Ian
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu 21 Nov 2013 10:39 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Aardvaark » Mon 30 Mar 2015 10:56 am

There seems to be a strong rumour in town this morning that Sainsbury's have pulled out of going into the old Co-op site,now being developed, and that we may be left with another empty retail unit in town.
Aardvaark
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2007 12:00 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Mancunian » Mon 30 Mar 2015 12:14 pm

so what affect does it have on Ware if the old sign is covered up? i don't understand that! yes it's grade listed or whatever but over the god knows how many years it's just been sat there and probably most people don't even look at it, what shop is going to look at going in there with all this etc, tbh i'm not surprised if they pull out as given the reaction on here to it they probably thought sod this too much hassle.... just my opinion...
User avatar
Mancunian
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu 22 Feb 2007 12:00 am
Location: Ware, Herts

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby The Masked Woler » Mon 30 Mar 2015 12:22 pm

Mancunian wrote:so what affect does it have on Ware if the old sign is covered up? i don't understand that! yes it's grade listed or whatever but over the god knows how many years it's just been sat there and probably most people don't even look at it, what shop is going to look at going in there with all this etc, tbh i'm not surprised if they pull out as given the reaction on here to it they probably thought sod this too much hassle.... just my opinion...


Where is the hassle? They applied for permission for a store (including a sign which covers the old one) which was granted with no difficulty, the store is nearly built.

Are you seriously suggesting Sainsbury base marketing decisions on what a few say on a forum most don't even know exists?

(ps just being sat there is what signs do - what else were you expecting)
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby The Masked Woler » Mon 30 Mar 2015 12:30 pm

Aardvaark wrote:There seems to be a strong rumour in town this morning that Sainsbury's have pulled out of going into the old Co-op site,now being developed, and that we may be left with another empty retail unit in town.


I wonder if this is because the property freehold is up for sale, however the sale details do say it is subject to a 15 year lease to Sainsbury.
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby Steve » Mon 30 Mar 2015 12:32 pm

Aardvaark wrote:There seems to be a strong rumour in town this morning that Sainsbury's have pulled out of going into the old Co-op site,now being developed, and that we may be left with another empty retail unit in town.

I wonder if this is a consequence of the Waitrose decision.
User avatar
Steve
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri 08 Nov 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Hertford

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Postby craig » Mon 30 Mar 2015 12:45 pm

Aardvaark wrote:There seems to be a strong rumour...


Let's end the rumour right now.
I've just contacted the regional property acquisitions team at J Sainsbury Plc.

"I really do wonder where or who starts these things.
Sainsbury is legally committed to this project and we are just waiting for the developer to hand the site over to us which should be around early July which is turn will see us open mid August.
Until we are handed the site we cannot commence our own fit out works."


Now, stop it. It'll be in the Mercury as fact if you carry this on.
User avatar
craig
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat 09 Nov 2013 5:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Shopping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron