Fanshawe closing again!

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Joho

Fanshawe closing again!

Post by Joho »

After closing for 8 whole days at Christmas, for which Everyone Active who runs Fanshawe was "unjustly rewarded" by taking members money upfront and not providing a service, they are now closing for a further 3 days at Easter, Monday 14th April (a normal working day for everyone else), Good Friday and Easter Monday. They are also closing early on Tues 15, Weds 16 and Thurs 17th which means I won't be able to swim after work as I normally do - these are all normal working days. At the point of posting this message there is no information on the Everyone Active or the East Herts Council websites so once again a lack of transparency. I only found out because someone picked up a leaflet while they were there this morning. Members need to revolt - this is totally unacceptable when our contracts do not allow for any closure except essential maintenance. There was none at Christmas and if there is to be some at Easter then they should have contacted us. Members are entitled to a refund if essential maintenance is not taking place - that is the law. The total lack of respect for members and their legal rights is just astounding.
ReDan

Re: Fanshawe closing again!

Post by ReDan »

Not sure I understand the line "Members need to revolt - this is totally unacceptable when our contracts do not allow for any closure except essential maintenance". Do you mean 'do not allow for any refund'?

But I do fear for Fanshawe in the hands of the current management; I think they will only allow direct debit payments for swimming lessons to be arranged at certain times of the year. Miss their self-imposed deadline and you are required to pay per term! Bonkers in the 21st century....

What is certain is that maintenance needs to be carried out. Last week I noticed a sign requesting customers use the lockers, only to find the first (perimeter) locker inspected actually had no floor and the second had a door which rapidly detached itself from one of its hinges on opening.

And then there's the showers, which on a good day approach being tepid......
Joho

Post by Joho »

Dear ReDan, if you pay for a service upfront (yearly or monthly membership) you are entitled to it. Getting a refund is not good enough - what we want is the service we are paying for, not refunds when they choose to close. I think you are missing the point that we have contracts and they should be adhered to. They do not offer automatic refunds so anyone wanting one has to ask for it. I agree there is the need for some essential maintenance but the closure at Christmas was purely a cost saving exercise. I have paid to use the facility seven days a week all year around and so far in a 4 month period the pool will have been closed for 11 days and only open for very limited hours meaning I couldn't get there for quite a few other days. The reason members need to revolt is to make it very clear to Everyone Active and East Herts Council that this is totally unacceptable. What is the point of a contract if the issuing party does not stick to its terms? I understand that the contract between East Herts Council & Everyone Active is up for renewal soon...

To summarise, there is no point in having a contract if the issuing party does not stick to its terms.
Joho

Post by Joho »

So I've finally seen the leaflet and the pool is open on Mon 14th till 3pm, not closed as I had previously thought. This doesn't help me though as I work full-time in Hatfield and leave home anywhere between 7am and 7.20am which does not allow for an early morning swim. On Tues 15, Weds 16 and Thurs 17 the pool closes at 12.30 which again is no good to me as I normally swim after work in the evenings. The total closure period over 4 months is therefore 10 days not 11 but that is still unacceptably high particularly when it is closed from lunchtimes on other dates when most workers are at work not on leave.
Enoughofthat

Post by Enoughofthat »

Whenever I receive unsatisfactory service that I can't resolve by taking up the matter with the management, I take my custom elsewhere.

It never occurred to me that whinging on an internet forum could be a more effective strategy.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

It's a leisure facility.What is so surprising about it being closed when you have leisure time ? It's a remarkably common - and dumb - occurrence.
Oddly, the staff want the same leisure time off.....
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Scottman wrote:It's a leisure facility.What is so surprising about it being closed when you have leisure time ? It's a remarkably common - and dumb - occurrence.
Oddly, the staff want the same leisure time off.....
Which is much like appling for a night shift job and then expecting to be allowed to sleep on the job.
If my job involves servicing the public over holiday periods then I'd expect to take my leisure time outside those times.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Response to Enoughofthat - I don't want to take my custom elsewhere I just want what my contract entitles me too. The reason for complaining on a public forum is because it is a public facility run for East Herts Council by Everyone Active so to complain in public is entirely appropriate.

Response to Scottman - our daughter worked all over Christmas because as a barmaid that's what she had to do. Whilst most people were enjoying their Christmas dinner, she was serving customers - likewise Boxing Day and the rest of the Christmas period (and had also been very busy for the whole month of December). That is the nature of the business in the same way that firemen and police and nurses often work Christmas, so to expect a leisure facility to be open when people have leisure time is not unreasonable - particularly when the contract does not allow for any closure other than essential maintenance.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Update: the leaflet is not very well written. It says Tues 15th - Thurs 17th public swim will be available 9am to 12.30pm. From chatting to one of the swimming instructors it turns out that public swim is also available on those days from 12.30pm - but that's not what the leaflet says! Therefore I am happy that I will be able to swim on those nights after work, but still disgruntled that I won't be able to swim on Mon 14th or the two bank holidays which I still find unacceptable given the terms of my contract.
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

I agree it does sound like a clear breach of your contract (with the information you have given).

What have the centre management said when approached about such a clear breach ? Have they given you any response to why they feel they can close on the days you have said ?