Fanshawe Opening times over xmas(or not)

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Pat-H

Fanshawe Opening times over xmas(or not)

Post by Pat-H »

Fanshawe has published its Christmas opening hours. They are closed for 8 days over the Christmas break and have reduced hours for a further 8 days. Members are able to use Hartham for 3 of the closure days when Hartham remains open. I haven't got membership but pay as I go, so inconvenient rather than a loss to me. Must be annoying for people who have paid their membership fees up front - oh, that'll be my wife then...
Mancunian

Re: Fanshawe Opening times over xmas(or not)

Post by Mancunian »

Are people not allowed to take a nice well earned break during xmas to spend time with family? some businesses close for 2 weeks during xmas some don't, i think thats a bit harsh on the people who work there to be honest, :o
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

As a leisure facility it would seem to be logical for it to be open when there are people not at work due to the break.
Maybe people with some time on their hands and possibly having eaten or drunk too much who feel a few trips to the gym maybe helpful?
Especially if those clients have paid upfront for the service and have a contract with not mention of closure during that period.
I also imagine the staff can't be too pleased at being made to take annual leave then. We don't all want to be off on holiday over xmas (beyond the statuary days)

A bit like the Lido being closed in the summer so staff can go on their summer holidays I suppose?
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

Anyone running a business like this should have a staff rota for eventualities like this. Facilities like this should be open most of the time, like many working in these sort of situations realise. Not impressed with this at all. :( :roll:
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Staff are entitled to a well-earned break. Show some Christmas spirit.
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

I think most of us have the Christmas spirit, it seems the staff of Fanshawe are lacking it!! :shock:
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

How lucky some of you are to have so much time off over Christmas whilst the rest of us have to work. Members can use Hartham which is open, and a nice walk along the river would help burn off some of the Christmas excesses,
trev

Post by trev »

I find it somewhat ironic that Everyone Active, the company that runs the gym, try to encourage more people to use their facilities by telling us that we need to get some exercise at least five days a week! Then they close for eight days, preventing us from using the gym at a time when most people would want to.

I agree with Pat-H. I am a member who has paid an annual fee which entitles me to use the gym as often as I like and so I am not happy about this closure. If you are a business that provides a service to fee paying members, that service needs to be available at the time those members require it.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Are you all complaining to Everyone Active then?
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Bikerbiker wrote:I think most of us have the Christmas spirit, it seems the staff of Fanshawe are lacking it!! :shock:
This isn't the staff at Fanshawe who have no say in the closure. My understanding is they are being made to take AL to cover the additional closed days.
The staff have been very sympathetic.
I've also heard mention that essential maintenance maybe scheduled for that down time and while I'd agree Fanshawe is in desperate need of some work I'd argue that choosing a period when they should be busy is very poor planning.

I suspect this is a cost saving measure and I imagine next year we'll see 10 days or more of closure ( It was 6 days last year I think) and then we'll reach a point when attendance will be so low closure and selling off for the land will be the only "Viable" option.